03 August 2006

As Robin Williams Satirized: "I Won!"

It's not that I am making fun of something. I just like the tone of voice that Robin Williams used when he said that as he made fun of something or other (I forgot) in his "Live on Broadway" show that aired on HBO in 2002. Mel has the DVD, so once in a while I watch it. In a very twisted way it's a great piece of archival work - he makes fun of everything and anything that happened between 2000 and 2002 so if one wants to learn about the first few years of the 21st century and have a laugh, I highly recommend the DVD. Watch it first, make a list of the topics he mentioned, look them up, have a think and watch it again.

It was kinda like that sound when one goes "OoOoO!!!" in a somewhat high-pitched tone. I sorta go like that when I get excited, especially when I got something that I had no clue I would get.

Case in point: when I got the Monbusho, I was in my school's library checking my email for the millionth time that day. So it pops up, I read it and start hyperventillating (in a quiet tone because its the library, SHH!!!) and practically run out into the lobby of Lowenstein. I think it was my professor back in London who I called. So, in the midst up jumping up and down (I literally did that) in the middle of the art gallery on the main floor with passersby looking at me strangely, I practically shrieked into his voicemail. I then ambush Deena, who is always more mellower than me, but her friend Jon shared in my excitement (after I explained what the Monbusho was) by giving me a high-five and jumping with me. Now he is pretty tall so it must have been a funny sight.

I know I act like an idiot. But I worked my butt off and had to act so professional at times its just good to let loose. Especially when it is the first big, REAL fellowship that I get. Always best to go cuckoo when you get the thing.

So yesterday I check my email in the evening and I see this email entitles "2006 NYCAS Marleigh Grayer Ryan Prize." It doesn't jog my memory so I open it and "OoOoO!"

Turns out I won first place (one of two prizes) in the New York Council of Asian Studies essay competition in the undergrad division. I get $100 but that was not the reason I sent my essay in; it was more for recognition and to see if I can build up my CV for grad school.

There is a interesting back-story to this: A few years ago (when I was a sophomore?) I signed I for the H:Japan List-Serv which is an email service for people who are in the Asian Studies field and specifically in Japan. I get things in the mail about topics of discussion, postings related to Japan and to Asia in general and about fellowships. I got the email about this contest back in 2004 for Fall 2005 but I think I forgot about it and didn't think that my thesis was good for it. So I saved it in my Gmail account and waited till the next year (2006).

Wrote the deadline in my organizer, which truly proved to be my lifeline: the deadline was June 1, and I totally forgot about the whole thing. I flip through my organizer on June 1 while at work and I see the notation: "NYCAS Essay Comp. Due (40 pgs.)".

O CRAP.

I had totally forgotten about it till the last minute!

Luckily, I had my USB stick with me at the time so I popped it into the computer, made the necessary additions/cover page and emailed it at the verylastminute. I didn't get a confirmation email or a "Thank you for submitting email," so I thought I didn't make it in time.

So I was surprised. Unfortunately, I cannot attend the conference. It's on October 6 & 7, and that is when I am going to be in Japan.