27 October 2006

Is There a DOCTOR in the House?

I can't help but giggle.

I got a letter today from the people who are heading that conference at Kyoto this December. The one that a shorter version (with a BIG disclaimer on it) of my thesis is going to published at.

The kicker?

The mailing label says the following:

"Dr. (my last name), Maria"

DOCTOR!!!


OoOoO - it's a cool feeling, even though its about 6 years premature. There was no place on the submission form that I would have checked off the box for my salutation, so it was a mistake on their part.

However, there is a downside. Not so much as a downside, but something that makes me very nervous.

I have to "present my findings." As in, possibly be subjected to severe scrutiny and my face turning red and me stuttering. It's in English, thank god- imagine me having to do that in Japanese. I would have to make a speech, try to translate it, and then be totally clueless when I have to answer questions.

As Prof M. once told me, "Powerpoint is good because it puts the audiences eyes on the screen as opposed to you."

I am going to dig up all my maps and pictures that I was not able to use in my paper. Powerpoint is going to be my friend.