17 November 2006

My Own Place

I did the one thing that almost every college grad does after graduation:

I got my own apartment. One that is tiny, a studio and I pay utilities separate from the rent. I can afford it with my stipend - I won't be able to save as much as I wanted, but it's my own place. I need space and privacy. I signed the contract today, got the paperwork to get the guarantor, and e-mailed my nice Aussie landlady to let her know that I found a place.

So excited! And it's in the same neighborhood as the one I currently live in right now; has INTERNET, a BALCONY and is pretty decently priced. Semi-furnished as well - there is this unit thing that is a combination of a bed frame and cabinets on the wall. You pull the bed frame away from the wall and in theory push it back up to save space, but I will keep the bed out - with enough cushions it would make a cute little couch.

I like the neighborhood I am in - it's quiet, filled with families and grannies. And there is a post office and Family Mart right nearby so there are the conveniences needed. And a bunch of little restaurants and a coffee shop - Colleen is moving into the neighborhood as well (at a dorm) so we plan to cover all the restaurants and coffee shops in the neighborhood.

I don't have a closet but who cares! I have MY OWN apartment. It's in a great and quiet neighborhood. And contrary to conservative Kyoto belief, I did not have to pay an arm and a leg in gift money (think I deposit that you never get back, it's a horrible system) and my landlord will help me set up the gas and electric and the internet is ALREADY installed and ready to go. It's basically wireless (two routers per floor) but there is a cable running along the ceiling of the hallway into my apartment so I don't need the wireless password, just hook up the cable and ready to go.

Ready to go because I have a Mac - it's just alot easier to set up internet. And I came by the apartment earlier in the week and tested the internet and it was all set. I took some pics to show to parents, sister some other people and Mel for opinions, but I will post and e-mail once I am done furnishing and decorating.

I can go to the 100-yen shop and get Christmas decorations!