18 February 2007

A Museum Without Walls, But Alot of Repeat Exhibitions


On Sunday, Deena, Geraldine and I went to Gyeongju, a city designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, since it was the capital of the Korean Silla Dynasty. It is 4 hours outside Seoul, near Busan and the Korean version of Kyoto.

On the bus ride, I got a decent look at the Korean countryside - it's more flat than Japan, but still rather mountainous. When the three of us got there, we hightailed it to the Tourist Information Center, got some information and walked around. We first got on the local bus to Bulgaska, a Buddhist temple with various levels, and VERY STEEP STAIRS. I am terrified of stairs. Extremely terrified. So terrified, that I made Deena hold my hand while I went down the first few steps, then I held on to each step behind me while I went down. I even considered going down on my butt. Of course, while Deena and I went down and passed some Koreans going up, we got the obligatory, "Hello, where are you from?" questions.

Unfortunately, we just missed the shuttle bus to some grotto that was an hour's walk, or another hour's wait for the next shuttle. So we decided to skip the grotto and head onto the National Museum and Anapji Pond, a palace site. The museum was very well done and nicely curated, with detailed English explanations - I compared it to my experience at the Kyoto National Museum a week before.

After the museum we walked. Alot. Again. My poor knees and shoulders. It was all good - but the one thing with Gyeong-ju was that yes, its very vast and very open, very different from Seoul, but we covered most of the basics and the major stuff within three hours. Which included tomb mounds of dead kings, one of which we could go inside and was quite creepy if you think of it as "Hmm...we are in a dead person's coffin." Also the oldest observatory "in the Orient" as per the little guidebook that I got at the TIC which was like a mound of stones in the shape of a flat-topped sake bottle no more than three meters high. So since we were done, we went back to the bus station and got our bus tickets changed. Good thing too - with the traffic because of Lunar New Year, it took us over 6 hours to get back to Seoul.

Before we went onto the subway, I had to go to the bathroom. While walking in the bus terminal, this little Korean man took one looked at me, yelled at me in Korean, then walked off. It was rather disconcerting.