10 February 2007

One Fine Day

Saturday was such I nice day and for once, I did not have anything planned. No "To Do Lists" no laundry, no cleaning of apartment (postponed to the day before I leave for Korea) no grocery shopping.

Nothing, nothing.

I was faced with the prospect of a somewhat quiet day in my apartment playing Final Fantasy on my DS or piddling away on the internet, when I remembered that there was a special exhibition of the Imperial Palace screens at the Kyoto National Musuem. It ends on the 18th and since I will be in Korea then, Saturday was a very good day to go, indeed. I woke up in the morning and it was sunny and clear.

I rode my bike down to Shichi-jo and was very proud of myself, as I wasn't huffing, puffing or sweating like a pig when I finally arrived. Even though it was the 2nd Saturday of the month where the museum was free (2nd and 4th Saturdays), I paid 800yen (student discount) so that I could attend the special exhibition.


The special exhibition hall was extremely crowded and quiet at the same time. There wasn't much in English - just the title of the screen and who made it - so after a quick glance at the placard and then a look at the screens I moved on. There were audio guides but they were in Japanese as well.

I went to the main collections hall and was politely reminded that there was no photography, even when I was just outside the galleries. Pfft. Oh well. The museum overall was no Met but it was enjoyable. I thought it was going to be alot bigger, but I covered it all in about 2 hours.

After the museum, I began to make my trek back uptown but made an impromptu stop at Yasaka Jinja. The day was really nice so I figured it was a good time to check the shrine out. I stopped at a stall and got some takoyaki and was treated to a pleasant scene: a traditional Japanese wedding complete with the bride in head-to-toe white kimono with a demure and yet melancholic look at the same time.

I then headed up to San-jo where I went to Ogawa Coffee and had a cappucino and a green tea roll cake. I worked on reading "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in Japanese while at the cafe. I stayed there for about an hour and then had a realization: Book-Off, the discount bookstore that also has a branch in NYC was right across the river from Ogawa and on my way home. I had been meaning to get "Memoirs of a Geisha" in Japanese so I went to check out and see if they had it. After a little difficulty, I got both parts of the book (in Japan, books are small so they break larger books into little pieces) and even picked up "The Joy Luck Club" for 105yen.