09 March 2007

Another University, Another Sweatshirt

By the time I finish my Ph.d, I will have attended 5 different colleges/universities.

1-Fordham
2-SOAS
3- Kyoto Uni

Number 4 is Ritsumeikan University, the place where I will be conducting research for the next academic year. Still going to take Japanese classes of course. And even an undergraduate class in Japanese - not yet graduate, maybe next semester. We shall see what happens. (Of course, number 5 is a very big question mark, since I will be applying in the fall for grad school).

I met my advisor for the first time today. He is a pretty nice guy and really enthusiastic about helping me out; he kept showing me books of relevant interest and when I mentioned that I am also interested in looking at the maps of the period, he said they are at his house but when I come to Rits the next time then I can look at them. I also told him that I have some reservations about the Japanese library system (it's TOTALLY different from the American one, and not everything is online) and he showed me these two thick books which is the catalog of the Kyoto Prefectural Library. I also mentioned that I want to do some research at Nichibunken (this other library devoted to Japanese studies) and that I require a letter of introduction from the school.

He asked me at one point what I want to do at Ritsumeikan, since I really don't have any obligations to anyone, except to attend my classes, and do research (i.e. paper collecting in my opinion since I don't have to write really). I told him that I am going to start from scratch again (but that doesn't mean that I am chucking what I did for the past two years, I am just going to look at Professor S's comments when I get the chance and write up all the problems I have), and that I mainly want to start my reserch since I most likely have to come back. I told him that I am also not going to do an advanced degree here (quite pointless really since I would have to start from the beginning when I go back home) and that I want to continue with my Japanese classes and try to take a course from the department. We ended up talking for an hour. I also mentioned that I want to stay in Tokyo for a few extra days, since I want to do some research in the National Archives (and go to Tokyo Disney but I didn't say that of course, I plan to look up all the stuff online before I go and make a typed list so things can go smoothly when I go there - I would do that regardless because I wouldn't want to waste any time).

In all we spoke for about an hour, which I think was a pretty good indicator. I was quite nervous actually. And when I am nervous, I can't speak in Japanese. Trust me, I think alot better in Japanese than I speak.