25 March 2007

Reading: It's What's Good For You

Got this off Ferule&Fescue, one of the many new blogs with an "Academy/Grad School" angle. I love those blogs.

The Book Meme

1. One book that changed your life?
Oh, this is easy - "Memoirs of a Geisha." I was at Costco with my dad at 15 and I saw it on the books table and since it said "Memoirs" and was written by a guy I was sorta interested and piqued - that or I had a weird mind. I convinced him to get it for me, in spite of the fact that he knew I already had too many books at home. I didn't notice that it said "A Novel" in teeny letters. When I read it, I was totally mesmerized and enraptured - never had an experience like that with a book before. Afterwards, I got very interested in Japanese culture, and wanted to know if the stuff Golden described was actually real since this WAS a novel. Plus, I was tired of the American/European history being crammed down my throat (AP Euro and American History, ya gotta love it, although I really want to read about Modern Greek history, more for myself), so I thought Asian history was interesting. This began my own form of teenage rebellion, where I told people in my family that I didn't want to be a pediatrician anymore and I will not go pre-med when I go to college. So because of that book, I decided to go with History, and here I am now in Japan for 18 months (12 and counting left, oh dear...)

2. One book you have read more than once?
Most of the books in my bookcase. I buy books that I want to read again and again. More specifically: Memoirs of a Geisha (still have the same copy from Costco, in 5 pieces now), books by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series) and the chick-lit from Anna Maxted - it actually does not instill the fear of lowering my IQ as other chick lit might (but I still read anyway especially when I need a break from heavy reading).

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
A really good historical novel (not Japanese historical novels, I deal with the real stuff already) that is over 1000pages. Preferably American Colonial/English Tudor/Italian Renaissance or some Medieval French historical novel. Nagai no hou ga ii!

4. One book that made you laugh?
Anna Maxted books. Before I lived in London, I couldn't get the humour, but after London I reread them and enjoyed them even more.

5. One book that made you cry?
Hmm...hard to say, but Pride and Prejudice garnered some emotion. I am more apt to cry at movies or Grey's Anatomy.

6. One book you wish had been written?
A basic, introductory, but extensive history of Kyoto AFTER 1868. Cut a girl some slack, please! (Hmm...maybe I will write it in the future, maybe?)

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Anything by Ann Coulter.

8. One book you are currently reading?
One? Come on!

Mao: The Unknown Story
Memory and the Mediterranean
The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto
The Dante Club
Sayuri ("Memoirs of a Geisha" in Japanese)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Abridged Audiobook - I listen to them to help me fall asleep, but if I can, I always prefer unabridged, just that some of the books I really like are so long they don't exist in that form, and yes, I have both print and audiobook versions of all the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon, obviously 6 600+ page novels would take up ALOT of space in my suitcase, so I compensate)

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Vanity Fair.

10. Now tag 5 people.
Ok, I don't know how to do this, can someone tell me how?