28 April 2007

Queens of the Dance Hall

As much as drag queens are fun, I hate and envy them.

Why?

They have way better legs, know how to wear high heels and know how to put makeup on better than any other girl.

BOO!

That said and out of my system, Drag Night was AWESOME. I do not know where to begin, so I will begin at the beginning:

Ingram and I went to Colleen's dorm for a house dinner. After, we all met up at my place (I bounced early so I can take a shower) and got ready. We finished up the preparations at Ingram's apartment, since he decided at the last minute that he wasn't going to go all J-girl drag - instead, wear a white shirt with a tie on the top and the skirt/j-socks on the bottom. I got a peek at the socks and holy crap. They were black but somewhat sheer and there was a pattern that made it look like there were ribbons tied around his legs. However, I did see the original outfit, complete with frilly shirt and I was totally aghast, and rendered speechless. The day you see your male friend in drag is a day worth remembering.

Colleen wanted to wear a shirt and tie, and I realized at the last minute that I wanted a tie to go with the whole drag theme, but the only sort of tie that would work with my outfit was the skinny, emo-indie sort of ties. I had a bit of a hipster look going. Colleen pulled off the tie very nicely, paired with the short-shorts and knee high socks with open toed sandals - perfect J-Girl style!

Ingram only let me put a wee bit of purple eyeshadow - WIMP! If you are reading this, I am still very dissappointed in you. I drew some stars on Colleen's face with my eyeliner and put some of the red lipstick that I got. I am not the best at makeup (I would have loved to put on fake eyelashes) but I tried my best.

I had done my make-up at my place: green and purple eyeliner and said red lipstick. To get a sense of my outfit, behold! I really like this picture alot. You can't see it in the photo, but my shoes were the same color, if not brighter than my shirt. As for the lipstick, I piled it on in the spirit of the evening, but I love wearing it everyday, I feel quite glamourous with it. I might get another shade of red when I go back home this summer, but in a more muted red; I took a look at the American Clinique website and saw that the lipstick that I got is 50% cheaper in the States. Bah.

The three of use got there before 11pm; the admission was 2000yen (because of the event, last time I was there it was only 600yen) but we got two tickets for drinks. I had a Skyy Blue, and when Chen came with her boyfriend who was visiting from Malaysia (what a cute couple!), the both of use did a tequila shot - and it was right proper Jose Cuervo which is quite pricey in Japan. I did not get any other drinks so it was actually a pretty good deal.

At first, there was only Colleen, Ingram and I (and Ingram's friend Kit with some Japanese girls) and a bunch of other people sitting around a table and this creepy gaijin guy who kept looking at Colleen and I. Turns out, those people sitting around the table were kids on the Semester at Sea program, and Japan was their last leg. They had barely any money because they didn't know that there were hardly an international ATMs to be had (only at the post office) so they got coolers from the 100yen shop and filled them with drinks. They were rather loud and obnoxious, actually, going up to Japanese people and asking them all these questions. They sure loved Ingram though, when he took off is pants in front of everyone to reveal the skirt for a "sneak preview" of what was to come when the party started.

It was not so crowded and Ingram had some misgivings about his skirt at first (which he was wearing underneath regular clothes) and went to ask if it truly was drag night; it was, but going to start at midnight. Well worth the wait! Alisa and her friends arrived as well, and the place was getting crowded. Then the techno music (which was bad techno music, where was the MADONNA?!?! It was Drag Night!)stopped, and the attention was turned to the stage. The drag queens have arrived. These guys were the first two and my favorites. Most of the performances involved lip-syncing; some was good and some was bad or atrocious. During the other performances, I saw Banana Queen stadning off to the side - handing off my camera to Chen, I went up to him and politely asked if we could take a picture together:
Now this is something I would have never thought of doing.

One of the most unfortunate parts of the evening was that the jeans that I was wearing ripped for the fourth time. They were my Japanese Denim Matchstick jeans from J.Crew and I had gained weight during my first semester here and with the bike riding, the denim faded and got worn out. I got it fixed back home the first time and repaired the second and third ones myself, but the fourth rip was the final straw. Jeans should not get worn out like this within 6 months of purchase. Doesn't help much that they are my favorites, but next time I am going to get skinnys that have a wee bit of stretch (but not too much,then they get all saggy), something like Citizens, or even Levis. I like the color of my skinny jeans as well, but I think I will definitely check out Levis since they have jeans in that particular shade of blue.