28 May 2007

Dorothy, We Are Not in NYC Anymore

Oh, my god.

I had a momentary freak out.

I was thinking about how to say "What time is it?" In Spanish. I took Spanish for 2 years in junior high school and growing up in NYC and with the high school that I went to, you had some basic Spanish in your everyday English. When my friends would speak in Spanish, I couldn't reply but I understood what was going on.

So EVERYTIME I kept thinking "What time is it?" my brain kept saying, "Nan-ji desu ka?" which is the same thing in Japanese. I even got "Ti ora einai?" which is Greek 1 time out of five.

FINALLY I got "Que hora es?" in my mind. Seriously, I thought I had been gone from NYC for so long I forgot that simple phrase. Heck even in my family we say "Que hora es?"

I know, I know it's very trivial but in a way quite revealing in terms of how language in working in my head - even Japanese is trumping my Greek because I have been gone for so long. By the time I come back home in August, I would have not set foot in the United States for 7 months, which is the longest I have been away from home.