11 May 2007

We're Dressing Japanese, We're Dressing Japanese, at Least it Looks So...

Today, I finally went shopping. As in right proper shopping that does not involve just groceries or 100yen. It was a beautiful day; after my koto lesson I started to ride my bike back uptown. I had noticed teeny little bulbs in a flower shop.

Turns out, they were saku-saku, or peonies. I had loved peonies ever since I was 15 and discovered Kate Spade and J.Crew; the Kate Spade store down in SoHo always had peonies in small bulb vases or large round bowls, and I loved the way it looks. In fact, I am definitely going to register for both shapes of the posy vases and the Round Dot, Library Stripe and Larabee Dot rose bowls in various sizes. I am obsessed with Kate Spade. I love the fact that it's classy yet with just a dash of whimsy to keep it fun.

But I will stop before I get to crazy. So peonies. For 2, they were 350yen (about $3) and there were ones that were in full bloom and they were huge. However, I picked up two sets - dark and light pink - and whose bulbs were still tightly shut. So long as I don't kill them before they bloom, they should look glorious. I very much want peonies for my wedding, but that is highly doubtful as it will be in September.

So I got flowers. I need a vase. I stopped at this little shop still in the neighborhood of my koto teacher and found a cute jar with a lid. I also got a towel, since I forgot mine back in Shirahama (yes, I know I still haven't regaled that tale yet, will do by the end of this weekend). Then I sped off and headed for Shijo. There was this shop that I was always curious about, called Yojiya and there was a big shop right in Gion, across from the Ichiriki Teahouse (yes, the same one that is Sayuri's main teahouse in "Memoirs of a Geisha"). I have always seen women carrying shopping bags with the ubiquitous face logo on it and never really got it till I finally walked in.

Yojiya - as I discovered through the internet and its website - is famous for selling face blotting paper. You know the kind that Neutrogena, Biore etc. sell at the drugstore, claiming that it will take the oil off your face. Well I have the Clean and Clear ones and unless I literally scrub my face, I can't get the oil off. I tried a sample piece and Yojiya and voila! There was oil on the paper and not on my face. I was sold. I got a 3-pack with 20 tissues in each, so if I use one a day that is a two month supply. Not bad for 1020yen. With Spring here (and evil summer looming in the distance) this is a good idea. I also got lipstick blotting paper, since I have become a red lipstick sort of person these days. I also got a case for the face blotting paper.

After Yojiya - with my arms now filled with the peonies, and shopping bags, together with my bike and it's basket I felt like one of those girls in French movies, all that was missing was the baguette! - I headed to the 100yen shop. I figured since I was down here, I might as well get what I needed (I was originally planning to go on Sunday). Got cereal, a new storage drawer for my school supplies and straws, since I have now started to make the Greek frappes (yes, I found a shaker, and the regular instant coffee is just as good, but the do sell Nescafe here so I will get that next time). It is hard to drink a Greek frappe without a straw, since it has all the foam on top.

The 100yen shop that I always go to on Shijo is called Seria. Before I came to Japan, I did crazy internet searching to find out what was what and where. I found the location of Seria through their website and since it has good cereal (and all 100yen shops pretty much look the same) I always go there. On top of Seria is a shop called Right-On that sells clothing for men and women. I sort of liken the women's section to a mild version of American Eagle and the men's sort of like Diesel, though they do sell various brands. They even sell 7 for all Mankind Jeans - however, their largest size is a 29/30 and I am a 31 (and sadly gained a bit of weight back since I just got over a mild binge-fest as of late due to some mild issues. But I got over it, have my motivation back - see my other blog for my research plan and meeting with advisor).

Buying clothes here sort of sucks. The department stores only have like two articles of the same item on the floor and you have to ask the salesperson for more. Plus, I am too big for this damn country. I am a size 10-ish in J.Crew/BR/Gap/Everywhere Else and a 9/9.5 shoe (depends on the design of the shoe). NOTHING BLOODY FITS. Except for Uniqlo which is a good godsend. I just got two tshirts there today and it was Pima Cotton for 1000yen a pop.

Point being, I really can't buy clothes here. There is a J.Crew in Osaka but the prices are probably even more through the roof. Zara is ok, but the lower end stuff I am not that big a fan of, because I care (a bit) about the quality of the clothing especially when I fork out god knows how much money. The Kyoto branch of the Gap by Kyoto Station just closed.

But I have been to Right-On once before; after cursing at the Japanese Import Gods for not bringing in 7's larger than a 29, I figured why not give the tops a shot. The first time I was there, I found some that fit but decided to come back later. Some of the girls dress in these tunic things that just cover their whole bodies and make them look like shapeless tents. It's a conservative thing in Kyoto; that and the desire for pale skin so they cover their arms down to the wrist even in summer and carry parasols. I do like the parasols, since I am pale myself and want to protect myself from skin cancer and hate the greasy feeling of the "Sunscreen Milk" that they have here. I am seriously considering getting myself a frilly parasol, so long as it can double as an umbrella - I don't think anyone in NYC would use a parasol, though it is a portable sunscreen to give you shade I think. As for the tunic-tent tops, I figured if they are that big to engulf the girls, I would just fit into them so it would look nice on me.

No tent-tunics, but what caught my eye at Right-On was the sale reack right outside the store and the sign "1000yen." 10 bucks for a shirt? Might as well give it a try.

At the end, I walked out of the store with two long sleeved (and long) shirts that are V-neck (gray and black; the black one has this tuxedo-satin panel on the back across the shoulders), a black-and-white gingham button down shirt with ruffles, and those cropped, 60s-ish elbow-sleeve length jackets in black. Now, the jacket is a wee bit snug if I close it, but I only close the top button for the intended retro look. It is a great jacket, since all I have to do is pop over to Uniqlo for basic t-shirts to wear underneath. I got it for 3000yen - it was originally 7000. The black and gray shirts were 1000yen each and the gingham shirt was 2500yen from 4000. Said gingham shirt was the shirt I tried on my first time at Right-On but I decided to come back the following week; good thing I didn't! I ended up saving 1500yen.

My pearl necklace - don't worry it was fake - broke while I was in the dressing room. I got it back when I was in London; it was a double strand, but one strand broke so then it became a single strand. I quickly rectifed the pearl-less situation; I went to an accessories store right across from Right-On and got a new - fake - necklace for 630yen.

I have not done shopping like this in a LONG while. I think it is a bit psychological to some extent; now I feel quite happy. When I was in London I did not get any article of clothing for a year because I had no money and things were expensive and I didn't like London fashion that much (TopShop? Blech - though I got a cool coat from there but that was it). So when I got back from New York I felt like I had to "make up for it" which sort of sounds stupid. But now I am happy, and very satisfied - I barely have any summer clothes besides, because I am a winter/fall sort of person. I reorganized my clothes closet/cabinet (its over my bed so it's a cabinet thing) and discovered that I have more sweaters than actual t-shirts that are not undershirts for sweaters. And it's hot here already. Furthermore, this little unexpected excursion has contributed partly in my quest to spice up my wardrobe a bit with a bit of Japanese pizazz and won't have to wait till I come home.

On my way back to my apartment I noticed Japanese men in their early 20s who looked like pretty boys (way to skinny, way to tanned, overly distressed jeans, tight shirts, big puffy vests, dress shoes and bleached, spiky hair) accosting pretty women - probably for hostess jobs - at the main intersection of Shijo and Kawaramachi. They were just standing on the corner, and if a girl caught their eye they would go up to them. One woman just kept walking and the man still walked with her - keeping the fast pace - trying to talk to her. As I was riding my bike, two old geezers tried to talk to me and stop me but I had my iPod on and sped by. When the first one tried to talk to me, I stopped to get my sweater out of my bag - it was a sunny day but a cold wind - but when I saw him approaching me and opening his mouth, I stopped opening my bag and sped off on my bike. The second guy was as I was unlocking my bike after getting milk at the 100yen supermarket.

So, the pretty Japanese girls get accosted by young (sometimes cute/handsome but idiotic and asshole-ish nonetheless) Japanese men. I get the old geezers.