08 June 2007

Must. Stop. Shopping. MUST. STOP. SHOPPING.


Last week it was the pottery and the cool cups with Justine. This week...

I was closing my wallet today when the button popped off. It was a cheap one that I got at a cute little store on Sanjo that I got for about 1000yen, that had a 70s vibe to it. Bugger, I thought. Then I realized: WOO-HOO! I have a VERY legitimate reason to get that new wallet (or one of the new wallets) that I was eyeing over at OPA this past weekend when Justine was here and got her jumper-dress thing.

Then I began to debate - do I get that cute short-sleeved eyelet sweatshirt? It's 4000yen for sure but mega cute and one of those things that make a good layer so it will last a good 4-5 years or so (just in time for a return trip!). Also, when I tried it on, it was LONG. Like mega long - mega long for petite Japanese girls, just right for me. Hmm...

First, I went to Inobun to check out if there were any wallets to be had - since I knew what the ones at OPA looked. I went basically because I had a points card. Points cards (or "pointo kaado") are really big in Japan, especially when you go shopping. I have a points card for Inobun, Random Walk (foreign bookshop) and a bakery by Rits called Boulangerie Briant. I guess it's to foster loyalty amongst customers - I went to Inobun first basically because I had a points card and I wanted to use it so I can reap some rewards. Unfortunately, there weren't any wallets that I really liked.

Then I saw this bag. It was a small basket on a long strap, sorta like those proper purses from the early 90s that women in power suits would wear on one shoulder. These days, however, girls are wearing them messenger style. Hmm, I thought, not a bad idea really - I do sort of need a medium sized bag. To tell you the truth, the only bags I have are shoulder and the one messenger that I have is my Jack Spade one, so that is really too big especially for just excursions or small trips. I need a bag that I can just toss around. But the basket was a little too small for my taste (I have a big organizer to carry!) and the price was too high for my liking. So, on to OPA - getting a wallet for sure, debating on sweatshirt and maybe a bag.

In the end, I got all three. The way Japanese shopping works - as far as I have seen - is just a bit short of "blink or miss." There aren't a lot of the same item on the floor, and if there is just one, then that's it. Which was my rationale for the sweatshirt. I liked it A LOT. It was very versatile. And damn cute and unique. There were a good bunch out on the floor, but all in different colors - alot of gray, one in beige, one in army green and one in chocolate brown.

There was a sign that said "10% OFF One Piece." The sweatshirt didn't have a sticker for it, so I asked a girl who explained that "One Piece" was a shirt. There was a shirt that I liked so I tried it on - I have been in engouh dressing rooms at this point (unfortunately in vain) to know to take my shoes off before going inside the dressing room, even if the dressing room isn't raised off the main ground. The shirt looked horrible on me.

So I began to think about the sweatshirt. I asked the same girl if I could try it on, and proceeded to try on the gray and army green ones. Japanese salespeople really pamper you and I do not mind at all - it is a part of the job, and not do to it for commission. It's not as cutthorat in the States where at J.Crew they ask at the register if anyone helped you today and the sales people drop their names left and right.

The salesgirl was really cute and helpful and I really enjoyed myself! We ended up discussing the merits of the three different colors - for I also asked if I can try on the brown one - and when she pointed out that light colored jeans look great with the brown one (by putting up a pair of Lee jeans next to me) I was sold. I have this par of Sevens that I like very much except for the fact that htey are a light denim. I just have some qualms; the great feature is that instead of the 7 logo on the back they have velvet ribbons that tie at the top in a bow criss-crossing on the back pockets in light blue and brown. Now then, I have a good top (of a sort) to wear with my 7's.

We kept on chatting and she remarked on how good my Japanese is. I get this all the time, but she seemed really genuine about it - and in reality, I held my own for about 15 minutes talking about clothes. I told her that I was a grad student at Ritsumeikan and (since she asked) I got here last October and have only 8 months left (HOLY CRAP! THAT'S IT! Bring on the shopping!). What was really sweet was when she asked me when I was from, I told her that I was from the U.S.-NYC. Her face turned bright pink as she said that she wants to go, and I said "Zehhi, itte kudasi," which roughly translates as "Please go, with all earnestness." She even offered to set up a points card for that little shop within the OPA mall after asking if I had one or not. I know I will come back there again - so long as the clothes fit me.

Afterwards, I went to the section where I was with Justine last time, walking around OPA to see if there were more accesories sections like that. Turns out that was the only one - and I found my bag. It looks like it belongs at Inobun; however, the price is totally differnt! A bag like this one could go for like 8000-9000yen at Inobun, I got it at OPA for 2600yen. A total steal and it holds all my crap. Even better for Tokyo, it will hold my big Lonely Planet Japan guidebook and my camera which get a bit clunky on their own and would totally take up a lot of space in both my KS bags and my Herve is too big really for something like your regular excursions. And then there is my wallet - it goes really nicely with my new bag, huh? It thought it had a bit of a Polo-Ralph Lauren prep vibe to it.

Shopping. Is. BAD.

BAD. BAD. BAD.

But dangit, there is so much cute stuff in Japan (Hell-O! Bento boxes and umbrellas, anyone? Kick-ass handmade pottery cups?)