20 June 2007

Ooo, La La! Le Food C'est Magnifique!

I never took a French class in my life, hence the lack of the French word for "food" in the title and my possible mispelling.

As I have said before, Kyoto is overrun with bakeries that try to liken themselves as boulangeries and patissieries. With French names to boot. I frequent one enough to get a points card. But let me tell you, Kyotoites know how to make a good pastry, dessert and coffee. Why else do I worship Rue-Ergo?

Today, I went to "Le Institute Francais Japonaise du Kansai" - The French Institute of Japan in Kansai, if my translation is correct with Colleen and Charlie (I might have to take German or French in grad school and even my German and French classmates said that French is more useful). Le mission? To eat French food. Colleen said that there is a really good lunch set for only 700yen there so I was totally game. Even better, it is right across the street from Kyodai, so it's in le 'hood.

(I took that picture with my cell phone, since I forgot to bring my regular camera, but all the more reason to go back!)

In the end it was 1000yen because I had the cake. I felt like I was in that restaurant in the final episode of SATC where Carrie meets Aleksandr's ex-wife - all white, clean and modern, sans rain and being up high in a building. Tres chic. And the chocolate mousse cake was delicious. The coffee? Excellent. I have figured out that the coffee in Japan (at least the really good stuff and from Ogawa) does not have that processed taste like that in the US - it still tastes a bit oily, but thats from the natural coffee bean (which just adds to the flavor) and it isn't overpowering, but very strong. Delicious. Now I have to find a way to bring about several kilos of Ogawa coffee back home, or find a really good equivalent in the States (and get a coffee grinder too).