16 August 2007

Shop 'Till We Drop

So I went to the outlets yesterday. There was a bit of traffic going upstate because there was a Yankee game (and you have to go through the Bronx to go upstate) and the trucks are only allowed to go on the upper level of the George Washington Bridge for security reasons.

My Uncle George was shocked at the size of Woodbury Commons (236 stores). We got there at 1:30-ish and Leah told him that we will spend the whole day there. At first he didn't beleive it but we left at 8:30, and the outlets close at 9. Leah got the best bargain of the day: a North Face Summit Series parka, the outer shell. Original price was $299, she got it after another 50% off for $116. Since they didn't have any inner fleeces in her size at the store (all XS, L and XL) she is going to the North Face Store on the Upper West Side and get it from there.

At Kate Spade, I saw the canvas tote bag that I wanted which is STILL in the stores (well at least the ones in Japan) and was marked down to $125 from $145 and another 25% off. THEN, there were these 3" heels in chocolate suede that fit me like a glove, and they looked damn sexy, real "grown-up" shoes that make you want to wear a pencil skirt every day and wished that you had a job that calls for shoes like that and pencil skirts.

However, my mom reminded me that the shopping today was more of necessity, and no I did not need ANOTHER Kate Spade bag nor did I need 3" heels when I am still a student and will be doing my TA-ing in bare or stockinged feet (because in the building where the class is held we take off our shoes).

And to be honest, I was a bit unsteady in those heels - they felt REALLY high, even though my espadrilles are almost 4". Then again, espadrilles are wedges (though I tripped and fell on my bum last week, and skinned my knee. So much for that then).

At lunch, I got a map from the information booth and proceeded to circle and mark up the map with all the stores that me, mom, Leah and my aunt and Uncle wanted, and made a route. Then we went to J.Crew. Personally, I am not that big of a fan of the J.Crew outlet because the prices are still not a cheap and I can get stuff at the sales even cheaper. However, me being in Japan this past year I really did not have much choice, and the clearance rack - though usually good - didn't have much either.

I picked up a pair of the matchstick jeans, but not the ones that I originally had - these have more stretch. I really wanted a pair to replace my old ones because they can go inside my riding boots, and Leah is permanently lending her red J.Crew jacket since she isn't taking it to Italy - cute outfit, especially with my navy and white striped boatneck sweater, cream wool scarf (which I am going to knit) and patchwork wool newsboy hat (I got it in Annapolis, imported from Ireland) no?

I also got a button down shirt in navy with polka-dots and ruffles on the collar. THAT was a bit pricey but, I liked it and didn't get anything else; sure, the sweaters were cheap, but I have so many J.Crew sweaters so I am just trying to change things up a bit. Plus, the shirt is quite versatile - I can wear it to class, and it jazzes up my suit.

But the one thing that I was REALLY happy about were my new shoes. I finally figured out who makes these ballet flats with a big gold disc on the front - Tory Burch (Reva ballerina flats). I went on the internet and screamed at the initial price - YIKES! - but then also discovered that she was going to open an outlet at Woodbury. In August. So, the question was, will it be open in time when I get there?

Yes! The shoes were not the ones in that photo - they are chocolate brown, with the gold disc. The shoes were not that much cheaper (by $30) but my mom liked them and I got some help as a gift. there was a girl on the train the other day and I pointed them out to my mom (speaking in Greek, however) and at first she thought they were a little too "bling" but on closer inspection, she did concede that they were cute. And I can dress them up too - what I like is that they are such a dark chocolate brown, they look almost black so they are nice, comfy flats to go with my suit. I think I will get these ballet flats (one pair like every three years, however!) from now on - comfy and very versatile. So many colors! but for now, start with the basics.

I am not going to wear them as often, especially since I will be going to class just twice week next semester; like I am really going to dress up to just go to the library. However, I will wear them this Friday; Mel and I were invited to a birthday party of his 2nd cousin's daughter. It's her 18th birthday and in the Philippino culture, 18 is a very big deal, just like the Quincanera for Hispanic 15 year olds and Sweet 16's.

All in all a very good day. I also got Mel two pairs of dress pants and a pair of jeans. One pair of dress pants were in pinstripe; he has never had pinstripe, but I got them since I liked them and they suit him nicely.

Today, aunt and uncle went with my mom to Chinatown, then Union Square, and I stayed behind. Now, I am off to go place 20 books for sale on half.com; I forgot to mention that my first weekend back, I purged my desk and bookcase of all the books I don't need anymore, and today I am going to purge my closet and dresser.

Knitting update: Almost done with the first ball of yarn - I might not be able to make it to knitting group this week because the relatives are here, but I need to figure out what happens after you finish your yarn and need to start with a new ball. Oh, and since I only learned the knit stitch, as Sasquoi pointed out, my mom's scarf with be mostly in garter stitch, with a bunch of other stitches for practice here and there.