19 September 2007

Is it Wrong...

...to want to make a baby sweater?

Not really. Good sweater making practice.

But to make a baby sweater for me?

I do not mean what you are thinking. Not quite yet!

I want this (I got the photo off a Queens knitter blogger on my nyc knits ring):
But I want to WEAR it.

It is from a 2005 issue of Knitty, but I googled and found the pattern on the internet for $6. I am totally down with getting it and tweaking it so it can fit me, maybe for next fall, and make like 3 of them. I personally love that color combo above - makes the sleeves bracelet length and make it maybe a bit cropped in a nice bulky weight - makes a nice cardigan jacket for an early fall day, with a white t-shirt, dark jeans and heels or flats. The grosgrain ribbon adds that perfect preppy touch, but I can also close it with a nice brooch or a cameo(!).

Update: I just bought the pattern from Knit/Purl in Portland, ME. $12.50 but well worth it! I just remembered that a family friend (who is like an older sister to me) is having a baby and my mom agreed to mail it to me here so I can get working on that and other baby goodies - I have the instructions for a baby blanket and a knit cap. I plan to make that sweater in all three sizes - the baby is due in February so the newborn will be I think a warm acrylic blend, 6 mos. will be cotton for the summer and the 12 months will be again a warm acrylic. Hurray for making things for babies!

Plus, by the time I finish all three I will be good enough to figure out how to make it in a big-girl`s size.