02 September 2007

What Being in Japan Has Done to Me

For one thing that is the most obvious, is that I am more picky with my Japanese food. Mel and I went to our favorite Japanese restaurant and I couldn't stomach the tuna rolls. Mel still thinks they are great but the man has not eaten proper sushi, or whale sushi for that matter (I have eaten that in Shirahama).

It's just like the Chinese food here - American Chinese food is groos. I can't eat it. However, I had heard that the Chinese food in China is quite different so I will eat me next cup of egg-drop soup when I (finally!) get to Beijing. When that will be, I have no clue.

The second thing that I have noticed is that well I have become more, how shall we say...high-maintenance? The girls in Japan go all out when it comes to getting ready and while I am not the type of person who will fail an exam because I don't have my mascara on, I have started to pay a little more attention to what works and what doesn't.

Clinique had this "RSVP to Colour" event at the Macy's in Herald Square/34th Street last week and I wanted to go because in essence it was a consultation on what works and what doesn't. I like Clinique because it doesn't feel so makeup-ey and cakey and it's allergy free.

And what a consultation! My makeup artist was amazing and we tried both regular stuff to see what works on me and fun stuff. She put on green eyeshadow and while it sounds horrendous it actually was nice because I have green-ish/blue eyes. Makeup artist said it was a day look but for me, I don't wear eyeshadow during the day so I held off on it.

We also talked about skincare - I turn 23 in December and I figured might as well think about crows feet now as opposed to later. My maternal grandmother is 78 years old and has not a wrinkle save for some (very) fine age lines, and looks 65 because of it. Why? She took care of her skin. I didn't even get a tan this summer and I am glad I didn't. I even carry my sunglasses with me everywhere all year round because my eyes are sensitive and the minute I feel myself squinting, out of the bag they come. In Japan, no one wears sunglasses because they are related to the yakuza (Japanese mafia) but I already stick out so I really don't care.

I tried this eye cream thing from Clinique while I chatted with the makeup artist; told her that in Japan this stuff is twice or three times as expensive. And I learned that the hard way - the lipstick I got in Japan was 2800yen whereas here it was $14.50. And that lipstick (Rubelite) was really bright for day, I needed a daytime lipstick. Apparently, I have long eyelashes as well.

So this is my new make-up booty:
Long Last Lipstick in Ruby Glass (discontinued! I got the last tube, but I saw it at Century 21 in B'klyn)
Perfectly Real Makeup Foundation in Shade No. 8
Cream Shaper Eyeliner in Chocolate Lustre
High Definition Lashes Brush Then Comb Mascara in Black
Touch Blush in Petal Cream
Full Potential Lips Plump and Shine in Sugarplump (my lips are already quite full but I liked the color and I doubted the plump factor in these things, and its an alternative to the lipstick, and it doesn't feel goopy)
Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40
and...
I plan to get the Colour Surge Eye Shadow Trio in Ebb and Flow come March when I return if its still there. When I was in Detroit, I picked up another tube of the City Block at the Duty Free because I have a feeling I will run out of that pretty quickly.

In toto...$124.08. I have never done that before, but the fact that I got the consultation made me feel good so I had tried on all the stuff beforehand made me feel confident.