06 October 2007

Zannen*

*What a pity.

Seriously.

My sunglasses broke today. And so the conversation about fancy designer sunglasses begins and my dilemma.

My nice, retro-ish, big frame blue/brown tortoise-print Kate Spade sunglasses, that I got for $43 at Century 21 (discount store) in Brooklyn. That's me wearing them, with my feet in the Pacific Ocean at Shirahama. I kinda figured I had this coming - I wear them almost everyday (don't want crows feet and my eyes are sensitive b/c they are light colored, it's an actual medical fact!) and plus, when you get stuff at the discount store, it's obviously not going to be in perfect condition. They were in the glass counter and when I tried them on, obviously the lady doesn't go get a new pair when you decide to buy them - you buy the ones that are on the floor. I have gone through 2 pairs of them and now that my sunglasses are totally shot - the screw fell off so the stick thing over the left ear fell off - time for a new pair.

I actually do need a pair - I ride my bike and it's really hard to ride your bike when your squinting or when the sun is in your eyes. I know winter is coming but the sun is still strong and now that I care about the skin around my eyes and my eyes are just darn sensitive I wear them if my eyes bother me in the winter as well. Case in point: when I go to Brooklyn with Mel by car on the BQE, I end up wearing my glasses because the combo of the sun glaring off the cars and the sun just bothers me.

However, should I get a pair here? I need to go to the Kate Spade store regardless for refills on my organizer. I could actually trek out to the outlet (yes they have American style outlets in Osaka and they have a Kate Spade one). I mean, I have not paid full price for either of my KS sunglasses and the total counts for $86. A basic pair runs at about $160 so its like by two, get one free: $160 x 3 = um...$480, say $530 with the taxes, and had spent about $95 with tax on just two pairs of glasses, so $530-160 (hypothetical price of new glasses)-95= I saved in theory say $255-$275.

Oh my. My love for Century 21 grows ever larger (until last year, I bought all my Seven jeans for under $50, but I needed a new pair of jeans and they didn't have nay new ones so I got a full price pair of Citizens and I was justified in that as well, given the money I saved on the 5 or 6 pairs of Sevens over the previous 4 years).

However, I have come to this realization as well: not get Kate Spade. Get another brand. The chance is here!

:::GASP:::

Call me silly, but Kate Spade is my thing. When people know me, they know that I am the Kate Spade/J.Crew wh*re. Ever since senior year of high school (^_~). Obviously I can't afford it most of the time but still, that's my thing.

I mean I could go try on other ones but my rationale is that everyone and their mother has the Gucci, the Chanel, the Ray Bans...hmm I wouldn't mind Ray Bans actually, depending on the style - not those ones that are popular now, they are too trendy and they don't fit my face, regardless. Those are classic. Point being, no one actually does Kate Spade when it comes to the fancy stuff. On any given day in NYC I will count at least 5 of Coach, Prada, Gucci and LV. Kate Spade? 1 more besides me - if I'm lucky. And I don't count the nylon bags (though the Jack Spade messengers are quite popular).

Also, I could just go get a pair of cheap-o ones till I get the money for nice ones, but the thing is, I can't tell if they have the UVA/UVB protection. I mean, come on, my Japanese friend didn't know what sunblock was and their sunblock here is horrible. Everything here is mostly for the fashion, so I would rather plunk down the money and get myself a quality pair.

But I would like to see any other styles as well - so while I will have fun with the Gucci, Chanel etc. I obviously can't afford it. My budget is about $175-$200 with tax maximum. Which is why I like Kate Spade as well - in some cases, it is quite affordable compared to the other brands. For now, I am eyeing the colette in navy or brown, greta in another color besides black if they have it, and bethany in either navy or brown.

What do you guys think? Any other options for sunglasses?