12 November 2007

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!

So I start the hunt for plane tickets.

And I am going to thank a lot of people in very high places who were able to give me A$1000 for my travel, because my plane ticket + getting my arse to Canberra is about A$1200 total.

Hmm.

As a friend pointed out, "Australia for $200 is not bad."

It's not really, but still I will try to find something cheaper. Due to the following circumstances: check-in to the dorms is really 1/28, not 1/29 (mix-up) and that I do need to take Japanese finals and one will be on 2/8 I will be actually leaving most likely the evening of 1/27 and returning 2/7. Can't make it to the knitting group in Sydney, but I will visit the yarn shop (which is near the Opera House!).

Soooooo many things I want to do; I dug up an old article from the NY Times travel section (yeah for getting rid of "Times Select"! Silly thing, really). They have these features, "36 Hours in [Insert City Here]". Here is the description of Sydney:

"A boarding pass to Sydney should come with a warning label: Beware, this city will have you questioning the quality of life in your hometown. Sydney has managed to skim the best parts of other cities and swirl them into a perfect blend of urban bliss. At any given time, visitors can enjoy the sun-soaked laid-back vibe of Los Angeles, the cleanliness and efficiency of Geneva, the energizing hustle and bustle of New York City and the Old World charms of London. Pair all of that with a unique brand of casual Aussie warmth and you’ve got more than enough to justify the otherwise prohibitively long flight to get there."

Wow. And the things they list! I wasn't really planning on going to Bondi, but now it's a must (and maybe for 2 afternoons?). How can I NOT go to Australia in the summer and NOT come back with a tan (or as a tomato? Which is the modus operandi for my skin, but I'll ask for some Coppertone SPF 50 in my care package).

Many of you will probably get sick of me gushing about my trip, but things will die down once all plane/bus/train ticket and lodging issues are settled. Plus, it's NaBloPoMo, this is certainly something worth talking about! Grad school apps are dogging me so I haven't been out much.

I have been playing The Cat Empire non-stop on iTunes. Their new cd is quite different - more mellow but still snazzy. If anyone is piqued, they do have their second album on iTunes and a EP version of their first album as well. It will even be better if they have a show in Sydney like I mentioned before - according to their site, it's going to be an outdoor tour in February.