20 November 2007

The Bell Lap

I can't run. I know there is a proper way to run, but I actually physically can't do it. For one thing, my Achilles tendons are too tight, so I don't run heel-toe, heel-toe. I used to just walk on my toes, but several years of consciously thinking, "heel-toe, heel-toe" has somewhat remedied that.

In short, don't expect me to run in a marathon. I have however, volunteered in the NY Marathon one year as a chip clipper at the finish line. Kinda yucky since some runners have sweat streaming down to their sneakers, but it was fun. I want to cycle a marathon. That, I think I can do.

I can see the finish line, regarding my grad apps. At least for my personal statement. I have brainstormed for the two essays for the other schools (two schools want TWO essays, the meanies), and have a good idea of what I want to write. But the essay for the other schools?

I hate it. I am constantly second-guessing myself, and have resorted to looking at my resume (since I had to fix it and add Australia on it) for some comfort, to prove to myself that I have done significant stuff, that I am a viable candidate, that yes I do care about the program and I have proof that I am one of the most dedicated and hardcore candidates that you got.

Still, I hate my essay. I don't know what else I can do to it to make it better, which is a sign that it's done. I just need to polish up the closing and add "Why I want to go to X school."

400 people apply.
20-25 get accepted.

One also needs to realize that there are more than 5-6 different fields. So it's about 3-5 people per regional section. At School B, they only accept TWO people for the East Asia track. I am presuming that it's 1 China and 1 Japan.

The odds are not looking good.

That final lap is always the hardest.