18 November 2007

Teacher, Teacher!

It's getting colder here. I woke up this morning, and the sky was a bit gray. I got up because I needed to go to the Lake Biwa Canal Museum - I am preparing a lecture to teach a class on "Meiji Kyoto in a Day" this Thursday, and I needed to make a homework assignment, field trip and readings.

Yikes. This is going to be my first time ever teaching a class. In front of college students. Prof. S. pretty much told me to regurgitate my thesis (because that was the topic of the day) but still can't help but be nervous. Readings were easy, I had scanned and compiled them last week. Prof. S. told me not to give them too much, and I didn't.

So I went, and actually got a tour of the museum by one of the guides there. It was in Japanese, I understood about 70% of it, but was quite proud of myself. Asked questions, got some things confirmed, and had some ideas for what to look out for when the kids go to the museum. Still, can't help but be nervous. Even when I answer questions in any class, I feel my face turning red.