01 November 2007

Trick or Treat!

Yesterday was Halloween, but I celebrated in on Saturday, the 27th. In the morning, I to Osaka since it was a good opportunity to hang out with Emi in her neck of the woods. We usually hang in Kyoto, but I want to go to Osaka more. Plan was lunch, then shop. Shopping will become VERY crucial as you will see.

First, I had an appointment in a section of Osaka known as "Universal City." Where Universal Studios Japan is located. Seriously, the minute I walked out of the JR Station (where I rode a train festooned with Spiderman) I felt like I just got off the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. And I KNOW the Magic Kingdom.

I felt so odd, so out of place. It was noisy and well...AMERICAN. It was Orlando, with Japanese subtitles. And instead of some tacky old-school Florida museum, we have the Takoyaki Musuem. The Grilled Octopus Museum. And since this IS Japan, there is a mascot whom I call Mr. Takoyaki and he is bloody cute. (P.S. takoyaki is delish. It's a Kansai thing, so you can't find it in Tokyo, as far as I know).

After leaving Orlando - erm, I mean Universal City, Osaka - I met up with Emi at the Shinsaibashi Apple store. I got there a bit early, so I fondled the new Nano's, which I haven't had the change to ogle properly yet. Lunch at a Mexican restuarant which was amazing, and then shopping at Uniqlo. While we were in the NOISY shopping arcade (I wanted to cover my ears), Emi and I passed by a Sanrio store. Scary, but cute. There was this HUGE Hello Kitty doll.

Apologizing to Emi for making her take this picture, I stood next to Kitty-chan and grinned.

Uniqlo is in NYC now and I actually didn't check it out when I was back home. However, if it's like how it is here - GO,GO,GO my fellow New Yorkers!!! Where else can you get quality pima cotton long sleeves to TEN DOLLARS? Their cashmere is quite nice too. And $20 merino sweaters in amazing jewel tones. I got 4 shirts and a straw Ralph Lauren/J.Crew-ish belt for just 500yen. That is less than 5 bucks.

I had to leave early to get ready for the Halloween party. I get back, realize I don't have much time to get dressed and proceeded to put on my Zara dress. Then I notice something: a small tear in the bust of the dress. I got SO mad and actually sad aloud, "*&$%#@ this!" Took the dress off (thank god the tag was still on, I never take tags off till I actually wear it), tossed it in the corner and looked in my cupboard. I needed to think of a costume. And FAST.

Lo and behold, thank god I dress preppy. And that I went shopping at Uniqlo. And got my vintage Chloe purse. And got a gold headband with a bow. And have (fake) pearls. And red lipstick.

I went as "French Riviera Chick from the 50's." Smoky eyeshadow and red lipstick, and ready to go! Uniqlo proved VERY important because all I had to do was look at the belt I got and the lightbulb turned on in my head. Below, is me strutting my stuff in our party's "Kyoto's Next Halloween Top Model Contest", looking my chic-y best:

Some of the girls complemented on my outfit, said I should dress more like this and that I embodied the whole French Riviera thing. Well, at least not too cartoonish, maybe. Secret: that "pin" is actually an earring that I stole from my mom - I saw it in her jewelry box poring over her 80s costume jewelry that is now "in," saw it and thought it would make a great pin.

I now have confidence to tuck in my shirt in that particular skirt - there is a bow that ties in the back and you sort of tuck your shirt in but I never do because I feel a bit self-conscious about the lower half of me.

Nonetheless the party was a blast. We all said it was better than going to a club - lot cheaper, no one smokes and we invite who we wanted to so no skeevy people either. Plus, no cover charge. We were all sore for the next two days because we were dancing so much. And we all plan to do it again - NO ONE complained about the music, and we had it quite loud.

Alas, I didn't win the contest. Wolverine did. His claws were out.