06 December 2007

Acts of Kindness

There is this elderly woman in my graduate seminar - Japanese of course. We chatted a few times and I learned she has a daughter studying in the United States. When I got back from my month long break in Japan she asked how it was seeing The Aussie and how my vacation was. She is very sweet.

A few weeks ago, she asked me if I was going back home for Christmas. There is a phrase in Japanese that goes, "mottanai" - "wasteful." I said that, because I am returning home for good in March, I was back home for a month in August, so there is no point for me going home for Christmas, hence: mottanai.

Today, she surprised me. When I finally settled myself into my seat for class she gave me a small package in a pink bag. "For Christmas," I think she said in English. I told her that she really didn't have to, and I was very shocked. I wasn't really sure what was in the package, but she asked me if I liked Japanese things and wagashi (Japanese paper). I said I did. I always admire the stuff at Kinokuniya back home but it's really overpriced. Now that I am here, I am distracted by the other great Japanese stuff to appreciate the more traditional goods - wagashi, for example.

I opened the package when I got home. What a surprise! In it were two fans, a small wagashi notebook, a large wagashi notebook, a small sewing kit in a chirimen fabric packet, a small chirimen fabric covered box and two small charms. Most of the smaller items were held in a pretty pouch.In the larger notebook (red, with a pattern of irises), there was something written inside in Japanese script. I picked out a few things here and there, but I couldn't read the whole thing - it was in the calligraphic style. I am going to go to Prof. S's house on Monday with the rest of the class for a little party; I think I will ask his wife who is Japanese if she can read it for me.It was very nice of her to do that and I am still quite surprised. As I was opening the small packages, I noticed that one of the fans (the blue and red one) looked gently used - it didn't have the 'spring' that the pink one did. Perhaps, it was one of her own? I like to think so. Maybe a memento, like what was written in the book.