29 March 2006

AL-1?

I looked at the Fulbright letter again today when I went to the Scholarships Office to show the (amazing) people that work therel. They say that since I found out so early (I am the first one to be notified), there is a good chance that I could still get it. The possibility is via the "additional funding" avenue. Still, I could not imagine why anyone would want to give up a Fulbright.

So while I was re-reading the letter, I noticed something small on the bottom. Other than the "cc:" note to my university, there was an "AL-1" next to it. I know from looking at other official letters in my past experience, little notes like that are for "office purposes only." If you put 2 and 2 together, it could mean "Alternate-1."

Am I the First Alternate?

Interesting.

Not that I will dwell on it - I have more concrete things to dwell happily on (like furniture for my room in Kyoto!) and more stressful things to dwell upon (like getting access to 19th century maps of Kyoto). As previously stated, it's a waiting game.