28 March 2006

Chasing the Carrot - or Rather, Daikon

Daikon is a type of Japanese radish. Rather tasty, I hear.

But today, I feel like I am chasing one - or if you want the Western metaphor, the carrot. It's like Wiley E. Coyote going after Road Runner.

Today, I got my letter from the Fulbright Commission. I also applied there for a grant to go to Japan, in case the Monbusho didn't come through. In all honesty, I thought the Monbusho was the long shot of all long shots. No one knows what they want in terms of applications - you just apply, go to the interview, take the tests, and hope for the best.

Three months later, I am still in shock of how I was able to get it. Its mind-boggling. They don't even release statistics on it. Trust me, I have googled to the point of no tomorrow. And I pride myself on my googling skills - I was able to find an obscure article on the Lake Biwa Canal by its engineer in 1883 (translated into English too) located in the Science, Business and Industry Library of the NYPL for my undergrad thesis.

So, back to the letter. I did not get rejected outright. Not that it matters. I am still going to Japan, and on the more interesting fellowship.

I am the ALTERNATE.

ALTERNATE.

Which means, in essence:

"We like you enough to be a finalist, we don't hate you enough to reject you, but you are borderline."

I don't like being borderline. Two summers working in the Admissions office at my university taught me that. It's being in limbo.

It's not that I am selfish. It's that I want to know where I stand, because I do have a practical reason for it:

If I do find out I get the Fulbright like in August, I would have to re-do my visa and notify the NY Consulate so that everything is negotiated in such a way that I can do both at the same time. It's lucrative for both commissions: some of the costs would be defrayed on either end, and I gain more institutional support (in addition to another stipend, most likely). Ergo, everyone wins.

If I do find out in August or something like that, things will have to be rushed. Negotiations cannot be rushed; especially if you are treading lightly, not offending either party and still want both. And I would have to re-apply for a visa that will start in September, because that's when the Fulbright orientation is - but I start the Monbusho in October. It gets rather complicated and bureaucratic.

The principals have one month to notify the Fulbright Commission if they will take it or leave it. So, if there is a slot, or if there is more funding I could find out the earliest by May. Latest, God knows when. The letter states that the prospect of a response grows smaller after June. So if I don't hear anything within two months of graduation, I am going to the consulate and submitting the application for my visa.

Start date: October 1.