11 May 2006

No.

That's what the Japanese Consulate told me today.

No, as in, Tokyo (MEXT) will not allow me to do both the Fulbright and the Monbusho concurrently. I was so flustered I didn't ask for a reason, and I didn't even dare ask for one. Don't even ask the "Well, can't you do one right after the other?" question, because the answer to that is no as well. The government says no (appropration of funds differs from year to year), my mother says no, the fiance (Mel) says no, and frankly, even I say no.

I know I haven't been to Japan yet and I am probably sure that once I get there I wouldn't want to leave, but I already have things waiting for me: a wedding and graduate school to name the two most important.

So this would have left me in a gut-wrenching decision, but I made my decision even during the application process (I tend to make contigency plans). If I only got the Fulbright, then I take the Fulbright. If I got both - I do the Monbusho. It is as simple as that in spite of obections from various parties. And here are the reasons that I have to reiterate to my nervous-wreck of a mother every so often:

1) Monbusho is longer. Hence, instead of reapplying to grad school theminuteIgettoJapan (which would be the case with Fulbright, as it is 10 months), I have a year to settle in, establish relationships for rec letters, and leisurely apply when the application period begins.

2) Even Japan Fulbrighters themselves said (in that little booklet that I got) that schools really do not know what to do with them. I don't want to be a "floater."

3) I can always reapply for a Fulbright to Japan, either in the Professor or the Grad Student/Dissertation category. If I went to Japan for more than 8 weeks prior to a reapplication for Monbusho (which would have been the case if I took a Fulbright) I would have immediately disqualified myself. And, it's not so clear as to whether or not I can reapply to a Monbusho if I declined them - there is very little information on the scholarship "on the inside" that is. Fulbright I know for a fact I can reapply - especially if it's in a different category.

4) I have to pay taxes on a Fulbright.

5) I am not on travel lockdown for Monbusho. So long as I do my work and play it safe, I can most likely travel on school holidays and still get my stipend.

I think that's more than enough cause to go on the Monbusho. Now, I return to my regular programming: typing up notes for Friday's Medieval History final, panicking about my thesis (it's HORRIBLE, I want to throw it into my shredder and never see it again), and typing up notes for final paper of the East Asian Cities tutorial (for which I had to pull a "get out of deadline free" card and ask for an extension, I just simply cannot do a thesis, paper and prepare for a final all for Friday. I thought I could, but I can't, especially when one is normally given two weeks to write a paper. In my entire 4 years as an undergrad, I have NEVER asked for an extension. But I can't pull 2 all-nighters in a row, I'll get sick again).