26 September 2006

The Fordham Invasion, Part 2

And so the wedding reception hunt begins.

This past Saturday, Mel, my mother, his mother and I went to the New York Botanical Garden up in the Bronx to check out their wedding facilities and prices. Well, we already had a clue what the prices were since it was in the email that Mel received, but we still wanted to check.

Two-hundred and fifty one dollars a person the NYBG does not make. The carpets were old, the mirrors a bit grimy, the linens looked cheap (didn't help much that the color chosen for the wedding that afternoon was peach) and the place where they had the cocktail hour wasn't very garden-looking. You weren't even in the garden. The tent was dirty, too. The chairs for the cocktail tables were this hideous green. It just looked so blah. If it wasn't $251, we might have thought on it a bit more, since you can change the linens and the chairs and such, but you can't, only for an "extra charge" so money wise it was a waste. No wonder there was a wedding that afternoon - it was a hundred dollars cheaper a person.

Fordham is right next to NYBG and my mom kept on pestering me, saying that "Oh wouldn't it be so nice to take pictures on the Fordham campus?" (Only alumni can get married at the chapel there and take pictures, provided that at least the bride or the groom is an alum.)This was said in hopes that we would choose the NYBG, and before all 4 of us came to the conclusion before our appointment that it just sucked. I kept saying pretty much "Hell no - I never set foot on that campus for more than 20 minutes at a time and the longest time I ever spent there was at graduation." Not my school. Simple as that.

During our appointment, the bride for that afternoon's wedding came in from the "bridal suite" to look at everything and she was happy with it. To each her own.

After the bride left to "go get herself married," my mother turns to the sales representative that we were talking to and asked, "Is the ceremony at the garden?"

The sales representative turns around and goes, "Oh, not this time. They are getting married at the chapel at Fordham University. It's right next door and I hear it's very pretty."

I stand corrected. I am surrounded.