21 September 2006

The Fordham Invasion

I like the college that I went to. Granted, it did not quite have the specific program that I wanted, but I knew from the start what I did want, so I compensated.

This past Sunday, Mel and I went to the NY Aquarium. Having been there three times before the age of 5, I totally forgot what it was like. It was a lot smaller than I remembered, and a lot less crowded. Then I have Mel on the side of me, providing his schtick on how the aquarium in QLD is much bigger and has these jellyfish called "irakanjee" (don't ask me to spell it) that can kill you with one jolt, futhering providing me with ample reason to never set foot in the Australian water, and how the aquariums have this buge tube you can walk in so it's like you are in the water.

Well, obviously! QLD has the Great Barrier Reef. That said, QLD has alot more space. This is New York. You can't build out - only up. And most of those aquariums with the fancy tube - I think the Camden, NJ has it and I am sure there is one in Georgia with it - are new. NY Aquarium is over 100 years old.

While I listen to Mel scare the pants off me about jellyfish (there are ones small enough to pass through the nets that cordon off swimming areas at Aussie beaches and can kill you!) I notice a familar face. Or rather, a familiar backside.

"Eliza?"

"Maria! I thought you were in Japan already!"

Former classmate of mine. And she was with two other Fordham people.

And at all places, we run into one another in the Alien Stingers exhibit (the jellyfish) at the NY Aquarium in Coney Island.

This, coupled with the recent surge of FCLC '06 grads infiltrating Astoria and treating it as the most wonderful place in the world, finally proves to me that New York is overrun with Fordham people.

Granted, that is myself included. What I think is really hilarious (in a sarcastic, cynical, NY way) is that when I run into classmates, who just moved or moved recently to Astoria, and find out that I live there too, they go all bonkers.

Classmate: "OMG! You live in Astoria? The Greek places are amazing? You're Greek right? Have you gone to Zodiac (or any other Greek cafe) When did you move there?"

Me: "I was born there. And I have been going to the Greek cafes (mostly Zodiac, not often, but recently I have been going more) since I was in junior high school (mostly for family occasions, but it still counts)."

Classmate: "...."

Get my point?