10 October 2006

Sticker Shock

To all of my fellow FCLC-ers (past and present):

we never had it so good.

A friend of mine who graduated from Barnard, once lamented to me that I suck, namely because I have the Time Warner Center right next to Fordham.

For those that aren't in the know, TWC is a fancy shopping mall. It's not the typical ones that you see in the 'burbs (thank god) but has more upscale stuff.

For me it has two important things, one of which every single classmate of mine from Fordham has grown to love very dearly.

First: J.Crew (with 10% off for students!)
Second: Whole Foods (the one everyone loves)

Whole Foods at TWC is the largest supermarket in NYC. Its 13,000 square feet, and I always mentioned this place when I used to give my tours to prospectives and they were getting weary of the cafeteria. That lit their faces up, especially when I added that it was not that expensive either.

So, I say to everyone back in New York:

YOU ALL SUCK. I can now sympathize with Jenny.

You would not imagine the sticker shock I had at the supermarket. 290 yen for THREE tomatoes! 400yen for like 6 pieces of ham?!?!?

Some things were cheap - like 38 yen for little cucumbers. Others were abominable. Thank god for the 100yen shop - i can get spaghetti, cereal, ritz crackers and a few other miscellaneous things from there.

However, I did find this HUGE bag of Pocky Sticks for like 200 yen. And little single-serve NY Cheesecakes.

Granted some things I knew were going to be expensive, like olive oil. I'm Greek - I don't use any other kind of oil. My family even uses olive oil to make french fries (they are really good, with parmesan and basil on it, yum). However, the price wasn't that ridiculous - 1180yen for a pretty big bottle (it was the biggest one).

However, there are things that I can get cheaper at other places. Family Mart for one - I can get low fat milk for 105 yen, and that apple yogurt (which reminds me of greek yogurt, with little pieces of apple in it) for 92yen. Not bad. You just have to know where to go.

Oh well. What can you do. Maybe its the particular supermarket - on my travels yesterday on my bike (went to Starbucks and Kawaramachi Street) I saw another supermarket. I'll check that out when I run out of food.