08 October 2006

Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Japanese Lesson #2:

1) Mama-chari: Granny-bike

In Kyoto, everyone rides a bike.

Not the bikes you (rarely) see in NYC or the ones I have seen in London, which are mostly mountain bikes. I'm talking about the mama-chari.

It's a stereotypical label, used as such because old grannies use these bikes. But rather, in Kyoto, everyone uses these bikes. They have a bell, a basket in the front, and a light. Sometimes there is a basket in the back, or a rack. Even better, there is this accesory that holds up your umbrella which attaches to the handlebars so you don't have to ride one-handed, and little kids get to ride in a bike version of a carseat. Sometimes there are two, one in the front, one in the back. I told you everyone rides a bike.

When you get a bike, you need to register it with the city. There isn't any real place to parl bikes and the police (reportedly) like to ave fun impounding your bike. So you have to go to the bike pound, pay 2000 yen and then you get your bike back. However, on Sundays, they don't impound bikes.

Another good thing is that everyone rides on the sidewalk. So that means people don't sign death wishes when they ride a bike. Another thing I notices is that the chain links on the biks are covered, so unlike London, you don't need to tie your pants up.

Today I got a bike. I (still) don't know how to drive, so in essense, this is my first real set of wheels. I got it brand new from a shop on Imadegawa Street that I saw yesterday with Deena. I was on the fence on getting a bike today, but I dreaded the thought of carrying alot of groceries (something I did too often in London, as I do not know the art of buying what you need for the day, I buy for the week) so I trekked on over. Plus, it was on sale. mama-charis can get expensive, so I was told to get used - however, I saw a used bike for 6000yen so that wasn't worth it. Better for me to get a new one so that it won't break on me and when it comes time to get rid of it, it has good resale value. So with registration, I got it for 8400yen (about $80). Not bad at all.

I was a little unsteady at first (the last time I rode a bike was what, 14?) but I got my bearings. And the saleslady helped me raise the seat, as I have longer legs than most people around here. The 26" wheel was too big for me. And the 26" bike was in black. I wanted yellow.

Why yellow? People would argue that black is more utilitarian. It sure as hell looks nice on the same model of bike that I got.

Here is the thing:

I don't drive. Why? I still don't know how. Before the world gasps in horror, I will explain. I live(d) in NEW YORK. There is a bus a block from my house. Granted, it is annoying when I go out late, to have someone pick me up that is, but that will be (finally!) recitified when I come back in 3/2008. And besides, my sister is thisclose to getting her license.

However, I do have a car. But in theory, not in practice. My dad bought a 1990 4-door Volvo (aka "The Tank") from his cousin for $500 specifically for the reason of me and my sister learning how to drive. My mom is very protective of her baby (a 1988 navy blue 4-door toyota camry that is suffering from the car versions of arthritis and Parkinson's) so if my sister and I crashed the Volvo as we learn to drive, its not like we trashed a car that is brand new, or has strong emotional attachment.

I always said that when I get a car (preferably an Audi TT 4-door convertible, a girl can dream) I want it to be in bright yellow, the kind of yellow that they have for SUVs (best shade of SUV yellow that I've seen is on a Nissan Pathfinder) or on a Ferrari. I have also seen it on a Mercedes convertible. That's why I got the bike in yellow. With the black basket and details, it's become my SUV: