29 November 2006

It's A Small World After All...

I always thought that Lincoln Center was pretty small - it's only about 1400 undergraduates, which was one main reasons why I went there. My high school was built for 1500 but by the time I graduated, there were 3500 students. When my sister graduated three years later, about 4500-5000. Gotta love the overcrowding in the NYC public school system. (I am being sarcastic).

Consequently, everyone knew almost everyone at LC - if you weren't sure who that person was exactly, you either know someone who does, or at least know them by face. It's always a game of "6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon," adjusted to fit the Plaza through the 5th floors (with the 8th and 9th occasionally) at LC.

When I came to Japan, I mentioned that I met Alisa, who is from San Diego, but lived in Astoria for a year. Maybe I didn't. Point being, it was really cool to meet someone of all places in Japan who actually know what Astoria is, and a) is not a native NY-er, b) didn't grow up in Astoria and c) is not Greek.

So imagine my total astonishment when my Kanji teacher asked me what my hometown was, and I said NYC. Too complicated to say Queens, I would have to go into my borough = ward shtick. Nonetheless, I said "Queens," and my Kanji teacher goes on to say, "Really? Do you know Astoria? I lived there for a year."

I was totally happy to hear that! So cool - my teacher lived in Astoria, of all places. Recently, there have been alot of young Japanese people in Astoria, as witnessed by my once twice-daily rides on the subways, and the appearance of three Japanese restaurants in the Ditmars area alone. I told her that I do know of Astoria, I was born and raised there.

"Really? There are alot of Greek people in Astoria."

"Yes there are; my family is Greek, too."

:::smile:::