27 November 2006

Only In New York Kids, Only in New York

I like to read the Metropolitan Diary in the New York Times. It's one of my favorite sections, next to David Pogue's tech reviews and blog and the fashion and style section. I like how it chronicles the everyday happenings of NEw York, and some of the great quips that you hear on the bustling streets. There is nothing like catching fragments of a conversation while waiting for a stoplight especially when your iPod is dead. It can be quite entertaining. And it shows that New Yorkers aren't the Devil's Spawn and ready to eat people alive, as popular belief would have it.

I do read the whole paper (albiet online) though - it has some really good articles. I always find myself referring to it in converstation: "Oh yeah, the Times mentioned something like that.." etc. etc.

If there is something really good in the Metropolitan Diary, I post it under the "Quotes" section of my Facebook profile. So today, I remembered to check it, and here was my favorite one:

Dear Diary:

On a Sunday afternoon recently, I was walking down Fifth Avenue right next to a man and his daughter, who was about 6. As we passed Cartier, the girl asked, “What is Cartier?”

He said. “It’s the American Girl Place for big girls,” and I burst out laughing.

So he laughed and said, “Isn’t it?” and I said, “Oh, you are teaching her early.”

He smiled and I said, “Why not!”

***
As a gossip columnist in the Post says, "Only in New York kids, only in New York."