06 November 2006

Plink, Plank, PLONK

Do you have ANY idea of how hard it is to tune a koto?

It took me over an HOUR and a HALF to tune that damn thing. I was trying to utilize the internet as a means to help me tune the piece of string crap that is the "o-koto" and it wasn't helping much. I kept on getting more confused, as there are DIFFERENT means ot tune the koto.

Bah!!!!

I wanted to practice the songs I learned today in my koto lesson. Thing is, my teacher tunes the koto somewhat differently in terms of placing the bridges, even though the tune is the same. So for now, I will just tune it the way I know how to tune it and just pay close attention to my teacher's tuning. When my ear gets good enough, then I will move the bridges. For now, those suckers stay put. I take no risks whatsoever. I have alot to practice this week - for just one hour, we covered quite a bit.

Luckily, I found a website for little kids that plays the note on each string one at a time. With my new nifty Korg electronic tuner, I played the note on the website and figured out what the note was, then adjusted the bridge for each string accordingly. This was progress after 1 hour and 10 minutes of glaring at that thing.

Plink!