31 January 2007

Domo, Makku Desu. Konnichiwa, Pasokon Desu. Bye-bye, iPoddo Desu.

I have just about had it.

My iPod is totally shot from here to kindgom come. I can`t put it on hold anymore because the hold button will freeze my iPod (harks back to the time when I did not use my case and just tossed it into the depths of my bag) and the battery is so gone that I have to carry my charger with me now so that I don`t have a dead iPod for my 2 minute bike ride home.

Just goes to show how dependent on my iPod I am. I am using it again at night to help me fall asleep since I haven`t been sleeping well lately.

This re-emergence of the loathing that I have for my dear iPod was triggered once again by an email I got from Apple, announcing that their nifty clip-on iPod shuffles now come in color a la iPod Nano. About time. They are also very affordable to - $79 or 9800yen. Before everyone goes aghast at the difference in price, I did the math: when you configure the NYC taxes (as the 9800yen list price includes the tax) and convert 9800yen into USD, its actually $80 - 5 dollars less than the $79 iPod shuffle after taxes (which comes to about $85). And besides, my income is in yen - best get things on this side of the world. I WOULD get an iPod video, but I want to wait for the latest generation (or the iPhone!). Furthermore, the iPod shuffle is good for the gym, which I plan to join in March.

On another note, when I was on the Japanese site, I came across the Japanese versions of the Mac vs. PC commercials. Not only did I understand them but they were HILARIOUS. There is this one where the Pasokon (PC - as represented by a salaryman) is decked out in all protective gear with the katakana for `Pa` (as in `pa-so-ko-n`) emblazoned on the front. He tells the Mac (hipster) that it`s for protection against viruses, and they are all the spyware and firewalls. Mac doesn`t wear anything (obviously!) but here is the kicker: unlike the American commercials, where Mac and PC keep chatting till the end, Japan Mac tells Pasokon that there is a virus (off screen) and then Pasokon slowly meanders behind Mac. Mac just looks at Pasokon, who has this look of fear on his face.

For some strange reason, the Japanese Mac ads are much more hilarious than the American ones. I noticed that Mac uses informal language, while PC uses formal language. That surely drives the point home, ne?