15 January 2007

Go Ahead. Make His Day.

So, the guy from the company that runs my building dropped in promptly at 7pm this evening, as per our arrangment over the phone earlier today. He comes in, takes his shoes off and heads to my itinerant bathroom with the pissy pipes, bucket and plunger in hand.

Pissy pipes - not really. More like stuffed up strainer.

He lifts up the metal lid on the floor and I actually gasp out of embarrasment. It wasn't a case of "the shower is clogged, get the Drano and sulfuric acid" (one time, I poured candle wax down the sink, now THAT was embarrassing). The plumbing here is a wee bit different - the pipe from the shower and the sink empty into this hole that the strainer was covering together. There is no separate pipe for the shower, like back home. I was thinking that it was going to be a major operation, as memories of my dad with the infamous "snake" came into mind.

No, this was a simple case of the strainer wasn't cleaned. I was so embarrased, and started to ramble off in Japanese: "I am so sorry, this is so embarrasing, this is my first time living alone, Japanese plumbing is quite different..." I felt so bad that I had to make the guy come, I took the strainer and began to clean it myself - and since he also touched it, pumped some of the liquid hand soap that I had luckily bought earlier in the day and directed him to the kitchen sink so that he can wash his hands.

I then proceeded to wash the strainer in the kitchen sink; he kneeled on the floor and we chatted about this and that, since I wanted to make sure that it was just the strainer and not some bigger problem.

In retrospect, it was a total "gaijin" moment and quite funny. I'll bet it will be the watercooler topic for tomorrow at the company.

One other thing that I noticed: when I was rambling quite coherently all in Japanese, I noticed that I did just that - ramble in the way that I just let myself go and didn't stop to think about trying to translate a sentence or a word. I probably made some mistakes but I didn't stop, which I think, is a good thing.

This little fiasco probably made the guy's day - go to building, soothe nervous female gaijin and get to sit down and chat while she cleans the strainer.