21 January 2007

Lil' Miss Goody Two-Books

Finals are approaching. I have 5 tests in three days, and then one more the following Monday. That is just pure hell.

I had a three day weekend since this Friday was the day of reckoning for all high-school students:

the once-a-year-do-or-die-National-Examination-Day.

In an ironic twist of fate I think, the exams were held at Kyodai (as far as I know, for there could be other test sites) - the one place that all high schoolers want to go to to, second only to Tokyo Uni (Todai). That could motivate students more, as Alisa pointed out but I tend to look on the darker side of things. I took the SAT once at Columbia and I had that awful experience of two rejection letters on the same day.

So, what did I do this weekend? I surely did not go out and see the pretty sights of Kyoto even though the weather was nice.

STUDY.
STUDY.
STUDY.

I wasn't the only one - the library on all three days was packed. When I got there in the mornings, the bike racks in front of the library were all full; on a normal non-finals-are-coming-up day, they are usually pretty empty. By the time I left at around 4pm (Saturday and Sunday, I left the library at 8 on Friday, but got there at 1), not only were the bikes racks PACKED, but the space in between them (for there are two sets of bike racks at the library) were so filled with bikes that you couldn't even walk in between them. Funnily enough, there are signs everywhere that say to not park your bike in that area. You always park your bike where the signs say to not park your bike.

Nonetheless, I work my arse off in the library but when I get home, all the stuff on my "To Do" list is done. Comapred to my procrastinating habits in college it sort of feels good to come home and then just chill because all your stuff is done. Sometimes I worry that I am not studying enough for finals because I come home and then chill for 5 hours before I go to sleep or so but I need to kind of remind myself that you worked in the library for 6 hours. Chill. It will get more hectic during the week with class and all but it is manageable.

So now my dinner is cooking - tonight I will slurp udon whilst watching "Monsoon Wedding."