21 January 2007

Musings for the End of the Semester

The end of the first third of my year in Japan is coming to a close. More so school-wise than time-wise; of course when one is going to travel to KOREA for two weeks, then Mel coming for two weeks in March, surely makes the almost two month long vacation less dreary, for at first, i I didn't know how to fill it up. For the time that I am not in Korea or that Mel isn't here (did I mention he is coming in March? WOO-HOO!) I plan to do the following:

1) SLEEP. Oh yes, sleep till like 1 o'clock in the afternoon like any proper student should!
2) Practice the koto.
3) Reading and research - but that is enjoyable. And yes, I once again reiterate the fact that I am a geek.
4) General sightseeing around Kyoto - Colleen and I plan to go to Nara for a day.
5) HAVE FUN. Ingram, if you are reading this, I MIGHT consider karaoke. Just might.
6) Oh yeah, and review my Japanese, in preparation for the scary transition that is known as "From Safe, Pretty Bubble of Japanese Classes to 'The Real World-Japan.'" Bye-bye, getting away with speaking English most of the time since that is the common language (besides jacked-up Japanese) amongst the international students at Kyodai.

The reading/research part will probably take up alot of time. There is alot of background reading that I want to do. I plan to do it all at cafes - namely Ogawa and Starbucks. I'll probably switch back and forth between the two.

So, I have compiled a list of my first impressions/general observations about Japan. Maybe when March 2008 comes, I will look back on this and laugh. And provide my list of second impressions.

The Musings:


1) Anything that has the word “katsu” in it is extremely addicting and is my nutritional downfall.
2) I was able to bypass the horror known as the Japanese rental system, because I pay attention to the bulletin boards at school and look DOWN as well as UP.
3) Google and I have a great relationship. Without Google, I wouldn't have found the place in Osaka that does eyebrow waxing. On the other hand…
4) …I have a love-hate relationship with iPhoto. I hate the fact that it sort of duplicates my photos in form so I can use the program, but I love how I can make a really spiffy photo album and then order it when I am done. So, unlike my London photo album which is still not done yet, I will have my Japan photo album waiting for me when I arrive home.
5) I notice there is a big difference in mentality between the Monbusho kids (already college graduates and then some) and the KUINEP kids (still in college).
6) Japanese college students really like their drums and brass instruments. I hear a cacophony of them at all hours of the day on campus and I hear them outside the library.
7) People really like my project. For real! I got accepted to the Asian Studies Conference Japan in TOKYO, run by the Association for Asian Studies - woot! (It's posted on the site, they havent given me official notice yet.)
8) But I really need to get my bum cracking on something related to it, even if outside background reading. Can someone give me suggestions?
9) I am definitely going to have to come back hear for another year at least in grad school.
10) Japanese cell phones aren’t as confusing as one thought. I actually do have a manual in English. And I figured out how to use the internet on my phone. Can anyone say, "Yahooooooo!"
11) Speaking of English stuff – I don’t use the English bus map. I try to incorporate Japanese as much as possible.
12) I know all the street signs of the major streets on the Eastern side of the city like the back of my hand and in kanji to boot.
13) I can read the kanji of a street sign before I get close enough to read the romaji.
14) I hate karaoke. I refuse to do karaoke. I have a hate-hate relationship with karaoke.
15) Nitori delivers furniture for free. Not that I need anymore.
16) Feta does exist in Japan. At a price.
17) I can cook Japanese food. Heck, I can cook!
18) My speaking is still a bit off.
19) Jikoshokai is the most annoying thing – how many times do I have to do it?
20) My legs are too long for this country.
21) My left knee has been bothering me since I left Japan – I can’t bend my leg back all the way – and I have no clue why.
22) I can’t sit on the floor with my legs folded underneath – see knee problem above.
23) Free koto lessons! And at the same time, Japanese language practice with someone that is not a teacher or a classmate.
24) Kyoto is really rainy. And really humid. And apparently, really cold.
25) But that means I get to use a really cool umbrella. And contrary to popular sayings from the locals, come on, its NOT that cold! I am used to zero degree weather (Fahrenheit) WITH a wind chill. Beat that.
26) You would be stupid if you didn’t have a bike.
27) You would be crazy to ride your bike in the rain, holding your umbrella with all your crap in the bike basket – that’s why they invented umbrella holders to attach your umbrella to the handlebars. But that doesn’t mean I have one yet.
28) There is no such thing as gas or oil heat. Unless you have a kerosene heater.
29) Shop 99, 3 Coin Shop and any 100-yen shop are a student’s lifesaver.
30) The cafes here are awesome. If sometimes a bit expensive.
31) It is actually cheaper to eat out than in sometimes.
32) Sushi on a conveyor belt!
33) The cafeteria here kicks Sodexho’s butt anyday.
34) That drum cacophony is REALLY pissing me off.
35) I feel more comfortable in Kyoto than in Osaka. And I am not the only one who thinks so.
36) Onigiri is a great snack. But beware if you can't read the label, then it's the most disgusting food on earth, next to natto.
37) Japanese chocolate – wow. It kicks Cadbury's butt anyday.
38) PIZA MAN!
39) When I get back home for good, I am definitely going to get tons of stuff from Sun Mart and Hong Kong supermarket.
40) They need to introduce the uni coop system in the States. Travel agency, dry cleaner, pharmacy, book store, school supplies, books and food all in one spot – come on! One stop shopping for students!
41) Photocopying is really cheap, so long as you make the paper settings to B4.
42) Unfortunately if I did get that umbrella holder for my bike, I would be laughed at from here to kingdom come, since only "obaa-sans" have that on their bikes.
43) I still haven't felt an earthquake.
44) Japanese offices are run so bureaucratically to the point that they become inefficient.
45) I still can't type properly.
46) And I still write my kanji a bit backwards. Gotta love genetics for making me a lefty.
47) However, that might be rectified, since the electronic dictionary for my Nintendo only recognizes the kanji if it's written in the correct stroke order.
48) Cute little pink pigs as cell phone charms? Of course!
49) Cell phone charms in general? Hell yeah!

and for the last one:

50) The McDonald's in Japan are way cleaner, much nicer and is THE place for students to chill and do their homework. The Kyodai area really needs a Starbucks.