22 January 2007

Shake, Rattle and Roll...Ride that Earthquake Baby!

Karma can really bite you in the arse.

The day that I say that I haven`t experienced an earthquake was the EXACT same day that I experienced one!

I went to bed my normal time, but around 2:14 a.m. my bed shook enough to wake me up. I can be a bit of a light sleeper (sometimes I need a blindfold just to force my eyes closed so I stay asleep, but then the elastic wears out so I go through quite a few blindfolds) so needless to say I was obviously woken up. By the time I gathered my senses - oh, about less than half a minute - the shaking stopped.

`HOLY CRAP! What was that?` I thought.

I sent texts to Colleen and Alisa; Alisa responded, confirming that it was indeed an earthquake. She asked if I was alright; I was perfectly fine, if a bit shaken up because I had never experienced an earthquake. So, I began to laugh because it was a bit funny because I freaked out so much.

According to a link from the Japan Meterological Agency that a forum member posted in a thread aptly titled, `Shake, Rattle and Roll...Ride that Earthquake Baby!` there was an earthquake in Fukui-ken and the measurement was a 4.4 - what I liked about that link what that it measured the seismic activity in the rest of the area, and in my neck of the woods, it was a 1.

Of course, my mom got all freaked out but with good reason - she was in a 7.1 earthquake back in the day when she used to live in California.