04 April 2007

It pays...

...to be the gaijin-pain-in-the-ass. Especially when you are the "new research student."

Ritsumeikan just called. I had a five-minute phone conversation in Japanese with a really nice lady (I understood about 70% of it) about me and Japanese language classes. After some questions on whether or not I want credit (I don't- figured it would make it easier for them on their part and for me if I can't go to one of the classes if there is a scheduling conflict) which classes do I want to take (just the grammar/reading/writing one, not that and listening/speaking together) and what my other class schedule would be like (one class on Tuesday at 2:20, and my sensei's grad seminar on Thursdays @ 4:20, but I told her that besides the graduate seminar, nothing is totally decided yet).

So, the really nice lady jabbered on and I was trying to pick up what she was saying, and then I asked her (in a "can I just confirm what you said to make sure I understand tone") about a placement test. Is it true? Some of the teachers (my own advisor included) were talking behind the scenes it seems about me and Japanese classes?

I HAVE A PLACEMENT TEST THIS FRIDAY!

Who woulda thought that I would be so happy to hear about a placement test.