17 April 2007

Reverberations and Deja Vu

It was a Friday afternoon and all was quiet in the tutoring room back in high school. I was a freshman - spring 1999. My social studies teacher had the tv on since no one was coming in, when I got first wind of the Columbine shootings.

Like many of the students at Virginia Tech, I too remembered the eerie feeling that the events of yesterday brought on. This time, I am 6000 miles and another country away. Like most of the kids in my generation I am too connected via the Internet, and checked Facebook myself to see if there was anything written.

Watching my podcasts, I feel like I am home watching the news as it comes through the tv in my living room. It is extremely eerie for me, especially since it is reduced to small articles and minimal coverage this side of the Pacific. It is all relative.

But other than those thoughts, I am utterly speechless. It is all very sad, but I just wanted to write that even outside the US, people are thinking of Virginia Tech.