08 May 2007

Another Option

I post another option to my loyal readers on the wedding dress issue.

But first, the big reveal.

The dress in the last post has a relation to Disney, hence the title. It is made by Kirstie Kelly for DISNEY FAIRYTALE WEDDINGS. That dress is from the "Snow White Collection." Go on an laugh, or bitch about how capitalist Disney is. Doesn't matter to me. It's a nice dress and I don't care where it's from. I was laughing from here to high heaven; I saw the article about it in the Daily News and if it weren't for the fact that there were photos of the dresses in the article I would have brushed them off. I was very pleasantly suprised - and the hilarity ensues when my mom, Mel (I told him about the site but didn't show the specific dress), Leah all said, "I wonder if your Uncle can get discount" - since he does work for Disney and all.

However, the price ($1100-$3500) is a bit squeamish. When I first got engaged, I dreamed of Vera Wang, Melissa Sweet and of peonies; now is the time to be practical. I am a bit of a cynic - there is a social construct to this whole wedding business and the damn industry makes too much money from marketing this idea of "THE perfect dress," "the DREAM dress," "the most EXPENSIVE dress in your whole life." Frankly, f--k that. I would rather take the $3000, go to Carolina Herrera or some other classy designer and get a couture cocktail dress in black that I can wear, and pass down to my daughter/granddaughter. I am a practical person; I buy clothes that I dress up and down. Which is why I like J.Crew; for all the expensive stuff, I buy on sale (or the very occasional splurge) and it LASTS. And I wear it all the time.

And also, I am going to be 23/24 (wedding might now be postponed till 2009); I feel that most of the dresses will make me look too old, for all the niceness that they have. I like the Snow White dress alot, but I am not sure if I can really see myself in it. But I do not want to look like a flower girl either. I just want to be different.

Which leads me to the other option, which is still, mercifully "anti-cupcake." Did I mention that I dislike salespeople? Bugger off. The ONLY salesperson that I will actually willingly talk to is Michael from J.Crew @ Columbus Circle. Apparently, he is the best salesperson out of all the J.Crew stores in the States. He is fun, he doesn't overly pester and makes me feel like a pampered brat but in a good way.

But I have insecurities (acne for one) and I do not need a saleslady in need of a commission to point them out when I am very much fully aware of them, and I do not want people to tell me what I want. I know what I want, dammit. If I need advice, I go to my mother and for fashion advice, my father and my grandmother. They actually worked in the Garment District so who better? Might I add, I go to my dad for approval of my clothing purchases, or ask his opinion of what is online.

Ann Taylor just came out with two wedding dresses. One has beading which is a mild no-no for me (frankly I prefer lace) and the other is a plain, simple strapless dress. And the price is very nice - $600 - AND I can go to the store on Madison Avenue to check it out myself.

Bit boring, but I have other ideas. Consider the plain, basic, strapless dress as a canvas. One idea branches out into ideas A, B, and C. The main idea is a cardigan, specifically 3/4 sleeves (sorta fuddy duddy with full length sleeves especially for a wedding). Idea A is a basic white one, from J.Crew (as always). There are three different fabrics, but the cheapest is $68:

Idea B is same cardigan, BUT in espresso/chocolate brown/bark/what have you to match the bridesmaid's dresses:



Idea C is this cardigan, which I think is an amazing design. Extremely retro, very 50's/Audrey Hepburn. Paired with pearls, sigh:



So those are my options that I have decided on with the strapless dress/cardigan option. I can either make it as a cover-up, or an integral part to the outfit, as Ideas B & C purport. Cardigans might not be original, but if I go with either Idea B or C it is quite interesting I think, and B would look cool with the bridesmaids. C goes very much for a classic, simple elegance. I DESPISE poof, pouf, frou-frou and fluff.

The price is not ridiculous (10% off via my sister on the cardigans!) AND I can order them online or get my sister to do it for me and try them on when I get home, since the last one is a particular design and not a basic, so it won't be around for awhile. Returns within 60 days with receipt get full refund; after 60 days with receipt is store credit. Either option is a classic, preppy-ish look which is the style I feel comfortable in, and won't break the bank. And I can wear the cardigans again - even with the last one which is $130, I wouldn't feel too guilty, since it would look great with skinny jeans, flats, and a long-ish, slim-fitting t-shirt.

And pearls. I have been wanting these
for a real long time.