07 May 2007

I Always Said I Preferred Disney...

As I have mentioned before, I have an uncle that works for Disney and I get in for free. Walt Disney World that is, since he lives in Florida. Last I heard, he is working on getting me a ticket to Tokyo Disney since it isn't directly owned by the company, they just licensed the name. So I grew up with alot of Disney in the house, since the late 80s-early 90s were quite the prime period for Disney movies. When I was a kid, my mom would pop in a video for my sister and I to watch so we can go to sleep. Worked like a charm.

So, I have looked, and looked and looked for wedding dresses (Don't worry I'll get to Golden Week in a few days, I just have to post this now). Call me anal, but the internet is quite a godsend.

Most of the dresses are strapless, overly sexy and if they aren't strapless they are fuddy-duddy. The NICE non-strapless dresses cost an arm and a freaking leg. The Knot helps with getting sticker shock even before you enter the bridal salon. I very much dread getting a wedding dress this summer, as I have acne on my shoulders. Bah.

However, that can be somewhat amended with makeup and dermatology treatments. Still doesn't mean that I want a strapless dress - do I want to pick up the thing all night? Plus, 99.9999999% of the strapless dresses are EXACTLY th bloody same. I call them "cupcake dresses" and the girls in them "cupcake brides" - same exact hairstyle too: big puff of hair on top of the head.

I already know that my hair will be in a loose-ish chignon at the nape - I have thin hair so I can't do puff and poof. Good.

But alas, the point of my post. Like the dress?



I like it. My mom likes it. My sister likes it. In astrological terms, the three of us make two Leos and Sagittarius so there is always problems and disagreement especially with big stuff. I have an opinion - I AM the bride dammit and the one going to wear the dress. Of course, my mother has an opinion - she is my mother and there to help. And my sister (who is younger than me and the maid-of-honor) has not only an opinion, but a very loud mouth. You can imagine the arguments over Skype which are very few and far between since I have learned to "Handle Wedding Dress Shopping With Care" but like I said I dread the thought of getting a dress simply because I am picky (but honestly, what "bride" wouldn't be?) and I don't have much money to get THE Vera Wang or Priscilla of Boston or Melissa Sweet dress that I have seen on the internet (some of which do fit my criteria, namely not being strapless, but alas, not the budget. And I like to think myself as practical - not like I am going to wear a $5000+ piece of white puff again).

The bridesmaids dresses were solved very early in the whole planning: so long as it is brown and from J.Crew (yes they are pricey but since they choose and it's in a "functional color" they can wear it again, plus my sister is still going to be in college so 10% discount) whatever you want as long as they are all different (4 girls, 4 different dresses). My sister, Leah will choose whichever dress she wants in pink. So the colors are chocolate brown, pink (of one shade or another, preferably a dark one) and maybe a third color. I am going to make them wear gold shoes; matchy-matchy dyed shoes is sooo early 1990s (however, no offense to anyone who had that in the mid-late 1990s and 2000s, it is my opinion, and I was in a wedding in the early 1990s where everything right down to the usher's cumberbunds was matchy-matchy emerald green taffeta). Blech.

So you like it?

You will NEVER guess who the designer is. The clue is in this post - trust me, there is a connection.