17 May 2007

Of Rainboots, Parasols,Socks and Japanese Sunscreen

I have a feeling rainy season is going to start any minute now. All last night and until about 9am, it POURED. As in right proper rain that you can see in the dark, the sort that when it falls into puddles, makes little bubbles. (Hey that rhymed! But you get my point. Oh-ame. Big rain).

I had class this morning at 9am which meant that if I wanted to catch the express bus, get to Kitano-Hakubai-cho (on the western side of the city) and have enough time to get my breakfast from Lawson (as I have run out of Seria cereal) and do the 15-20 minute uphill walk to campus without losing my insanity, breaking into a severe sweat and pant, I had to leave the house by 8. It was pissing rain - London rain pales to it. So, I did what everyone else back home does - put on my rain boots. I have gone through several pairs of rain boots, problem being that the cute ones from J.Crew crack along the inner part of the shoe where the toes bend as you walk. Pity. Between my sister and I we had a cheetah print and navy blue with hot pink umbrellas. So when I was back home over Christmas, I got army green mid-calf lace ups from Tretorn (Swedish company) via Century 21 for $30. So far they haven`t cracked. Yet. But rain boots are not as common in Kyoto, so I sorta feel stupid now, especially that at 9am, the rain stopped and the skies cleared. Sure, everyone is carrying around their 2-foot long umbrellas (mine has polka dots) but I am the only one in rain boots, and it can get hot in there.

Seriously, Japanese girls have wierd senses of fashion - when its boiling hot outisde they still wear turtlenecks and another shirt on top so that their arms are covered. Its so that they keep their skin as pale as possible, but then you have the other extreme - girls that tan or color themselves to the point of being orange. Then when it is pouring outside, girls still wear sandals that are open toe with the frilly not-socks (the sorts you wear with loafers to prevent blisters but don`t show; in Japan the point is that they do show) or stockings. My biggest pet peeve is when I see girls in peep-toe shoes, with the black lacy not-socks that LACE UP THE ANKLE as well or if they are in other atrocious colors. Same scratching-of-the-head action goes for the turtlenecks in 80-degree weather. Here I am, getting short-sleeve, V-neck tshirts from Uniqlo and trying not to move around so much, and the girl next to me in class is wearing a long sleeved turtleneck, frilly tunic and open-toed shoes with those damn socks. I really need to get pictures of these socks. I will admit, they are useful (my pinky toes already have blisters from my ballet flats) but when they are to the point that they have their own bow, frills pop out of the shoe and straps tie around the ankle, it borders on ridiculous.

One does NOT wear open toed sandals or shoes of any sort. Elderly women are the exception.

One thing that I actually do like in Japan is the parasol. Since spring has sprung, all the girls (ones wearing turtlenecks, bucket hats and gloves included) are carrying parasols. Now THAT is a good idea. I don`t like the feel of sunscreen on my skin on a daily basis (because my skin is oily and I have enough crap on it to keep it nice and clean) and since I did not bring any good ol` fashioned COppertone or good oil-free stuff, I had to get Japanese sunscreen when I recently went to Shirahama, just in case. I have light skin, burn easily and thus am at a slight risk for skin cancer. I use SPF 50 and I still get red.

But Japanese sunscreen is not a well kept together lotion like Copperton or Avon`s Skin So Soft - it is this greasy `milk` crap. My friend had the same problem when she wanted to use lotion for her skin in the winter - it was all `body milk` and very messy to put on. Don`t ask me how the Japanese women do it. All I know is I know what works for my skin and it is not here. I could go to Clinique, like I did for the lipstick, but alas, that 2800yen lipstick was only $14 in the States. So I am not buying makeup here in Japan again. Plus, even though it is on the label, I do not think that Japan gets the concept of UVA, UVB and SPF that well - I told my Japanese friend about SPF and she was like `What is that?`

I am considering getting myself the frilliest parasol that I can find, unless I find a really cool one. Frilly because parasols are meant to be frilly and in an uncomprehensive way it`s me making a statment on the whole parasol thing. And when I get back home, I have a pretty sweet umbrella since no one uses parasols. However, one can consider a parasol as a portable awning - we are always trying to walk in the shade, no? However, I am leaning more towards whatever design I find amazing. I did mention that I want a Japanese umbrella collection. To parasol, or not to parasol? That is the question.