28 May 2007

Pretty!

Yesterday, I went to a rugby game with my new friend Emi, more of which I will speak in detail later. But first, the events of before the game warrant a separate post.

I finally got a parasol. Not as frilly as I had expected but it is BEAUTIFUL. Bamboo handle with cream fabric printed with blue tulips, and a navy blue crochet trim. Bring on the Japanese umbrellas! Now I have two, since Emi pointed out that if the parasol has a particular label (which the one I got did) I can use it for both sun and rain. Which is good because like I mentioned before, people back in NYC don't use parasols, but I think I will start using one.

I ran into Colleen on my bike along Kawabata-dori, the street that runs parallel to the Kamo River. She was going to Kyoto Station to take the train to Lake Biwa; I was going to Shijo to meet Emi and her friend for lunch before the rugby match. It was hot and the sun was blaring; Colleen asked if I was wearing sunscreen and I said no because I have the greasy feel of Japanese sunscreen, and quickly asked if today is a good day for a parasol and she agreed. I had some time before I met up with Emi so I headed quickly to Inobun to check out the parasols. They also have parasols at Loft and of course at Tsujikura which is JUST an umbrella store (where I got my first umbrella, and they sell the traditional Japanese ones too) but I have a point card for Inobun and that store is just damn pretty. I can walk around there for hours, even though it is quite small.

I saw polka dots, eyelet, crochet and flowers. One caught my eye: it was black with a espresso handle and even had a matching cover. There was about 2 inches of green and white striped fabric around the edge with a cream crochet trim. I did say frilly but to be quite honest I am not the frilly type. So I overlooked the umbrellas with lots of flowers and even some of the larger parasols, because I didn't want a really big parasol. However, most of the handles are extendable so they were quite deceiving.

Then I saw it. It was the cream with blue tulips - not overdone with flowers and not frilly. The price was 4000yen; expensive, but I rationalized - 4000yen, or a sunburn that could lead to skin cancer? (Thanks to Bad Aunt, I finally confirmed my suspicions that Japanese suncreen does not work period). I couldn't make a decision so I made a mental note and went to meet up with Emi and her friend. We ended up at sushi-on-a-conveyor-belt for lunch, but a different one than Kappa Sushi . Even though it was more old school - no booths and just a small room with the conveyor belt and stools around it - the quality of the sushi was much much better. I told Emi and her friend I wanted a parasol and if we had time could we go to Inobun? The train was right there and it only took us 5 minutes to get to the sports ground regardless. I showed the both of them the cream and the black one and after some discussion - one point being that lighter colors are better because they reflect the sun - I got the cream one. I think it is very Kate Spade-ish. I have it pictured here with my first umbrella, so you can finally see what that one (sort of) looks like.

Pretty!