26 May 2007

Vintage Finds

I REALLY need to go to flea markets more. You always find great stuff.

Case in point: today I went to a cafe to do some studying over by Kyoto University. I wanted a change of space, though I think I wouldn't go to that particular cafe again, the food isn't that great. Rue Ergo is a bit pricier, but the food is way better and there is more coffee selection. And the chairs are more comfortable.

After some studying, I was riding my bike past Chionji-Dera, the Buddhist temple across the street from Kyodai and where the monthly temple fairs are held. I saw groups of people inside and bikes outside; I first thought that today wasn't a temple fair day, but when I looked at the sign, I realized that it was a charity flea market. So, I parked my bike and walked on in.

I wandered around for a bit, as I usually do at the temple fair - I get a lay of the land, then I make my purchases. Most of the stuff there were cast-offs or used items a la Salvation Army, but there was a lot of bonafide, antique/vintage stuff. So, I went to those stalls with more gusto. The first one I approached had a bunch of stuff, but I was really interested in the fans. Japanese fans are very well made and quite expensive unless you get the cheap ones from the university co-op shop. A good one runs for about $30. I wanted one so that when it was hot I would obviously fan myself. So I kneeled on the ground, or tried to squat Asian-style (seriously, how do they do that with such ease) and looked at the fans. I had a hard time opening one in particular, until the stall owner came up to me and showed me the trick. I liked it so I put it off to the side. We chatted for a bit; I wanted to know particularly if these were old fans, or just used ones. There is a difference in my opinion. Used is something that is made a few years ago and just cast off; old or vintage means that yeah its used but much more older and thus if its in good condition has quite a character. I pored through the box opening and closing fans and found one in particular that I liked: it was royal blue paper with silver script and still closed very tightly. Wasn't all floppy so it was in great condition. I got it for 300yen.

Next, I returned to a stall that I passed by because I saw a box of interest. It was small, obviously really old and had a large and small drawer and kanji stamped on the side. I picked it up and asked from what period it was from. It was from the Taisho Era (1911-1926) made of kiri, or paulownia which is indigenous to Japan. I then asked the price: 1000yen. I was sold.

Finally I walked around for a bit more, maybe seeing if I can get a vintage parasol. I saw umbrellas, but no parasols, or rather the one I did find was dirty and the folding type. I then saw a stack of purses and thought maybe I can get a small clutch or something. There was this dark kelly green rectangle peeping out; I picked it up and saw that it was a clutch about a foot long and can actually hold stuff. I asked if it was old (I didn't know the word for "vintage") and then what period it was from; again Taisho. Very interesting. I pored through the other bags and actually saw an old Louis Vuitton Epi Leather bucket bag in royal blue. I was extremely tempted but I saw the condition - it was very warped and dirty and just rather worn everywhere. I wasn't really too thrilled by it, even though it was Louis Vuitton. I never asked the price for it. Plus it was a drawstring bag, and I don't like those. So I then asked the lady how much the green Taisho clutch was and she said 200yen. Amazing.

To be quite honest, I wasn't so sure of the bag is really from the Taisho era; it is in such good condition - there are no frays in the thread of the fabric, although there is just a small stain on the front. However, I opened it and saw that it was stuffed with a roll of newspaper to keep its shape. I opened it up and saw that the newspaper was from 1961. Well, that ensures that the bag is at least from the 1950s, which is pretty good to me.

I just stuck my nose inside the bag to get a better look inside or to see if there was a stamp or a label. Instead, I got a whiff of incense, like that in a Buddhist Temple.