13 June 2007

My First Manicure*

*Warning: Mega girl alert. Those with testosterone might want to skip (although if you're interested in more Japan commentary, you are more than welcome to read).

My first real ever manicure was at my local hair salon when I was 15. It was about March, and I remember it being really cold, and because of that, I had to put on my jacket before the nail polish was applied because my mom and I had to get home, so we couldn't wait for the polish to dry. It was for my senior high school pictures and the color was Opi's Empire State Red - a deep plummy sort of red, though I go for Essie's Capri (orangey-red, great for summer) these days.

In Japan, a BASIC manicure will set you back about $30-$40. That's with filing, buffing and cuticle shaping - if you just get the color package, they just file your nails and put the polish on. Back home, I can go across the street anytime during business hours, fork over $25 (that's with tip) and get a whole on mani-pedi. With the bubble foot bath and a massage chair.

Since I am going to Tokyo, I was going to just say screw it, treat myself and fork over $100 for the mani-pedi. You heard me: ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Then I changed my mind - a real waste, since it would only last about a week, and I would be going home in a month regardless. For a mani-pedi. Oh, and it gets better (or worse, depending if you can't determine the sarcasm): the trend amongst "hip" and young Japanese women about my age is to festoon jewels, layers of polish in different designs AND 3D flowers per nail. On a fake nail of course. Takes acrylics to a WHOLE new level. That can run more than 100 dollars - and that's just a manicure.

I miss my semi-quasi bi-weekly mani-pedis ESPECIALLY in the summer, since its sandal season. I am still wearing shoes, but today I finally got nail polish. The nude-pink sort that is popular these days - in the States. In Japan, glitter and shimmer is more popular. I went to two combinis, a 100yen shop until I finally went to one of those chain Shiseido make-up stores that you see in local neighborhoods. The lady there practically pounced on me, trying to determine a nail polish. She (was pretty elderly) kept directing me to the shimmery stuff until I found one. The price? Twenty-five hundred yen.

I will NEVER pay that much for nail polish - I can get Essie at my local Bed Bath and Beyond for under $10, for crying out loud. Then I FINALLY found a nude-pink gloss and it was only 355yen. I picked up some nail polish remover at QQ (because I know I will make a mistake, and lo and behold, I did) and went to business. My first SUCCESSFUL self-manicure (I already put the clear base, filed and did the lotion thing last night, thinking that just clear would do, but dammit I wanted my nude-pink).

I feel complete (well almost - before I go to Tokyo, I will attempt to give myself a pedicure, since I either want to make sure this manicure is really dry or I will re-do it). Bring on summer! I have my manicure. And I didn't mess up either! Good way to cut down on the cost of manicures, though once in awhile to keep things in order is still necessary. You can bet where my first stop will be when I get home in August - my local nail salon (and haircut, hmm, pizza place, oh! the Greek food store, my favorite cafe...)