30 July 2007

A Cacaphony of Cicadas

So, due to the fact that it IS summer vacation and I do need a break after the craziness of the semester and trying to not have jetlag when I get home, I have been sleeping in till about 12pm. The latest was 2pm. Trust me, I am not normally like this; I think today is the last day that I sleep in late since tomorrow I am going for cake with Emi, Wednesday I need to go to Rits to sign for my scholarship and I plan to play tourist for a day on the 1-day bus pass and Thursday I need to pack and clean. However, that doesn't mean I am going to wake up at the crack of dawn.

Not unless the cicadas have anything to say about it.

Rainy season ended last week and I have been enjoying the sunshine either at the Kamo River or out on my teeny tiny balcony. However, the fact that it is now summer for real also brings along the cicadas. And their singing. I have heard about the cicadas; even thought I heard them at the start of rainy season as I rode my bike along the Kamo, but let me tell you, cicadas are bloody noisy. I was lolling away this afternoon trying to read Harry Potter in Japanese with the door to my balcony open; it wasn't stifling, but still hot and I didn't want to use my A/C (which because I am on the top floor of my building and heat rises and I do not get much of a breeze I have been using almost all the time). Every morning, I wake before my alarm say around 6am (I set my alarm for 9:30, not like that was happening these days) due to those damn cicadas. My ears actually ring when they stop making those sounds because it is all of a sudden so quiet.

However, there are a bunch of trees right behind my building and my balcony opens to those trees - the sound of the cicadas got so loud I was getting a headache. So I closed my balcony door; as I did a cicada flew away from the doorjamb and I jumped - those things are big!

Now, I have my Grey's Anatomy playlist blasting out of my iTunes so as to drown out the noise, which isn't working, really. Speaking of which, I should finish downloading the songs off Season 2, since I am done with Season 3. And make some more playlists, provided that my crappy 15gb iPod will survive the flight (highly doubt it, unless its plugged into my laptop).