07 July 2007

Just Gotta Wait One More Year

Wedding is postponed till September 2009.

Update: I didn't get to finish this post actually. The wedding is not postponed because the sh*t has hit the fan in my relationship or any other bad reason. However, I do appreciate everyone's concern, and I apologize for making everyone worry.

The simple reason?

Time. Jikan ja nai (There is no time).

I am in Japan and trying to find a reception place that is nice and affordable within the NYC area (INCLUDING Westchester and Long Island, now anyone from NYC proper will understand why there is a wee bit of hesitation, ha-ha but we are looking at places and let me tell you NYC/LI/Westchester AIN'T cheap) is tearing the hair out of all parties involved. Even trying to make appointments to see places just on the weekends when both sets of parental units, plus Mel and I can see it is crazy. My dad is only free in the mornings during the summer because of the ice cream truck and Mel's parents are free only on the weekends because they have Mon-Fri jobs, which is the same for Mel. The only two people that can go at any time of day, and day of the week is my mother and I - me because I am a student and my mom because she is a teacher so we get summer vacation. Now, that just marks of old-school wedding planning, just the bride and her mother; I am trying to be diplomatic here.

Plus, if we wait one more year there is the possibility to be able to get a really good place. So, if we don't find anything that we (all parties involved) really like we can go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden (which everyone minus my dad because he didn't get the chance to go saw) and won't go crazy. It is a nice place, just some caveats about the packages make it very tight for 2008. However, when I do get back this summer we can look at some places, like we did shortly before I left, and just build up a lot of dossiers. We saw three places, including the BBG (Tip for any future brides in the NYC: Do NOT go to Bronx Botanical Garden, its $250 a pop plus then some! Yikes. And the carpet was old.).

I have to admit I sort of feel guilty because it is the simple reason that I am in Japan that lead to the eventual postponement. One cannot do this sort of stuff in a month - when I get back this summer. I mean it is possible, but not without alot of uneccesary stress. Remember a few posts ago when I was tearing my hair out over wedding dresses simple because they are too expensive and the cheap ones are tacky, and trying to find and alternative on the net? For all the wonders of the internet, it does not show me how I look in a wedding dress and what the prices are.

Planning a wedding is supposed to be fun. It is not supposed to make me blog "I hate weddings." Nonetheless, I still stay clear and far away from wedding magazines; I get the feeling that they are trying to market a particular "idea" of what a wedding should be: its extremely consumer driven, and that is something that is very cookie-cutter-ish in my mind. I really despise what the wedding industry has come to - seriously, Bridal Expos? However, they are good for ideas, but getting a subscription to Brides magazine is not my thing. I prefer Martha Stewart - that magazine for all its Martha Stewart-ness doesn't looks as splashy or pushy. (hey, I am a prep ya know!). Hmm...maybe I'll pick up the latest one now, and maybe the fall one will come out when I am home, and then get a subscription because unlike other bridal magazines which come out every damn month; MSW is seasonal so it's just 4 times a year. Good for my psyche.

Hmm...then I will be around in NYC for Vera Wang's Annual Sale (and other trunk shows, I get the emails and I kick myself when I see them) which is in June/July. I can bring a posse with me. Up to 75% off wedding dresses...grab my friends, and get any dress in my size (10/12 even 14 just to get the right fit, its call alterations).And even bridesmaids dresses.

When I get back in March 2008 for good, there will be 18 months till September 2009.

There is one great upshot: our anniversary falls on the 12th of the month (the yearly one is in February) and September 12, 2009 is a Saturday.