12 September 2007

Knit 3, Purl 3

When I came back to Japan, I left my mom's garter-stitch scarf on size 13 needles behind. Kinda wish that I didn't now, since I learned how to purl via the internet. I need someone to visually show me how to do it at first, or else I am clueless. That's why I was grateful to that knitting group back home although I didn't go again after that first time because of other things popping up.

However, I still like to knit. It's fun - esepcially now that I can purl so I am doing a ribbed scarf! Cue in the ooohs and the aaahs...I have graduated from garter stitch! I can purl! I can do more than make rectangles!!!

As for my mother's scarf sitting on top of the stereo, that is going to be frogged and put in a rib stitch. I really did make it too wide - the number of stitches does matter and it is not really an indicator of the actual width of the scarf. My mom's just got out of control.

Before I returned to Japan I went with my dad to BJ's. There was this "Knit Knack Kit" which was in the books section and one of the kits was open - a sample, perhaps. I took a look and it was really neat! 25 projects on little cards in PLAIN ENGLISH with a size 8 circular needle, yarn needle and a basic how-to book. But like I said earlier, I need someone to show me, especially since I am a left-handed Continental knitter. (I really, really like Continental). I know if I want to make better stuff I have to learn the shorthand, but for now this is all good.

So I brought the contents of the kit sans the needles (don't ask my why I didn't bring them I think I'll ask my mom to mail the needle stuff - which is plastic - since I think I'll be itching to make hats next!) and knew that there was a nice yarn store in Kyoto. I found it last Sunday, it's called Avril. Nice stuff but a bit expensive, I ended up paying 1000yen for 100grams. Eek. But thats ok - I'll look at the other craft/sewing stores that I also know where they are and probably they will have cheaper yarn since I was in a specialty store. I picked up 7mm, 8mm, and 12mm needles for 100yen each (plastic, though they do have bamboo) at the 100yen store and voila!

My first real knitting project: a Knit 3, Purl 3 rib-stitch scarf. 100% wool yarn, in a deep plum (I know I mentioned I wanted a cream scarf to go with my sister's red jacket, but this color called to me). If the yarn gets too expensive (I won't go over 3000yen for this) I will make it more like a tucker for early fall, closed with a brooch.