19 October 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

...come again on a day when I am not supposed to be going out!

First, it was the night I went to Sam&Dave (a club) a few weeks ago when Chen came back. I took a taxi because I wanted to treat myself. And tonight, it's Salsa dancing at the usual place, El Coyote for my Russian friend Uly's birthday. I want to wear my Tory's but it's bloody nuts out there. Pfft.

How the heck is a girl supposed to look nice when it's raining cats and dogs! I am NOT going to risk my nice shoes in this mess; there is a big spot on my riding boots now that doesn't seem to go away when my wet shoes fell on it and I didn't notice till it was too late.

It has been raining ALL DAY LONG. Since exactly 9:18am according to my keitai. And not just a drizzle - a proper pissdown!

How do I know the exact time?

I had my koto lesson this morning (today, I learned a Japanese lullaby - now I need to get the words to it to file away into my brain for future reference). I woke up to the sound of rain and thought, "Dammit, have to spend 500yen on the one-day bus pass" (I need to take two buses to get all the way down to the Kujo/Tofukiji area, a little south of Kyoto station).

Then, as I got outside my apartment, I noticed that there wasn't any rain. So, I hopped on my bike, knowing somewhat that I am risking it. It was a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation: if I take the bus, it won't rain. If I ride my bike, then it will rain.

It started to rain, just as I arrived at my teacher's house. Ok, I thought, it's just going to be for awhile and there will be a lull long enough for me to get to Ogawa on Sanjo for some coffee and to dry off.

Man, the Shinto god of rain must hate me, if there is one. Since I am not sure, I invoke Zeus as the person upstairs that hates me at the moment.

It has not stopped all day. Good thing I know how to ride my bike whilst holding my umbrella; I went slowly and meandered through the traffic without a hitch, save crashing on my ankle which I did to myself but it doesn't hurt now.

My legs were soaked (the umbrella only works on keeping your upper half dry, since you are still pedaling). The stuff inside my Herve Bag (waterproof it is NOT) is soaked. I felt like a cold, drowned rat.