26 July 2007

The Art of Being Slovenly

In my opinion, everyone has their own way of being slovenly. I once wrote last summer that when there is no school, my desk just turns into an utter disaster. Now then, my definition of disaster appears to be quite relative; in London, and here, whoever walks into my room/apartment and sees it is astonished at the neatness. But for me, that is not neat. In the summer, I usually have things just stacked on one another - I may be organized, but my one flaw is that I tend to either stuff or stack, leading to a big mess in my opinion.

So, the same thing has happened again. It's a vicious cycle. My bookcase (if you can call the cabinet above my bed that has my books) is actually in pretty good condition as is the clothes cabinet - just things are a bit out of place. It gets to a point where it just irks me. So because I was really bored, I started to pack. A week ahead.

This flight around, I am bringing an extra suitcase of just well, crap. I have mentioned this before, but when you see all the crap that I have just made a list of actually right in front of you, it's alot. Yikes! Extra Japanese textbooks (I have ten, including JLPT but those stay with me), the ReEA Conference proceedings, bento boxes, my yukata, clothes I don't need, all the pottery and Starbucks mugs, my old paper dictionary, my paper kanji dictionary, kanji flashcards and just well alot of paper and books. And some clothes I don't need anymore and my peacoat - I have my Northface, two coats is excessive and I will have my sister's cute J.Crew jacket for days when I feel girly. Speaking of which, I am also brining back two of my three light jackets, and my sisters A&F bomber. I really need to just get rid of a lot of stuff, especially stuff that is a bit extraneous (like skirts and dresses, I really don't wear my spring dresses in the winter, and as a student I really doubt I will dress up alot).

So I filled up the little suitcase, which is an extra and I have to bring back regardless. I figured I might as well take full advantage of the 35 kilo per suitcase (o DRAT, I just checked Northwest Airlines, I'm only allowed 50lbs per suitcase!) weight limit. However, I filled up that suitcase with books :::cringe::: I MIGHT have to just re-pack so I can distribute the weight of the books. That little suitcase is DAMN heavy. But it's good to see all that extra crap away, so that my apartment doesn't feel so cluttered.

I pretty much got into packing mode not because stuff is all over the place in my apartment, but also I went shopping today. Again, I really didn't intend on it, but I did. But I am justified! When you find things that fit in JAPAN and ON SALE you do not pass it up! I got 6 shirts for 6000yen at this shop called Lowry's Farm and they are all cool. Four of them are the same style but in different colors - and one is bright fire engine red so I think that's awesome. I also got Mel's little sister a birthday gift - an umbrella that is sky blue with brown swiss dots and the curved handle. I would take a picture of it, but it's wrapped. People may think that umbrellas are an odd gift, but that is not the case with Japanese umbrellas. They are damn cool. And another Liberty handkerchief/head scarf from Takashimaya for 315yen. The sales are still going on.

Before I went shopping, I went to Rue-Ergo for lunch/brunch (I woke up at 12pm today). Unfortunately, on my way there, I was accosted once again. And this time, it was at a stoplight; I was on the bike, with sunglasses and iPod on. I had my head scarf on so my hair was back; you could obviously see that I was listening to my iPod - I really blast the music so that I don't have to hear those damn election trucks (they are BAAACK! Elections are this Sunday). So this guy comes up to me and starts talking; I totally ignore him, and he just keeps on trying to get my attention. Asshole. When the light turned green, I pretended that I had a message on my cell phone so that he would speed off first; NO WAY in hell was I going to let him see where I was going. Seriously, I am not amused. But I just brushed it off; and kept an eye on the guy riding ahead of me, should he stop again.

He looked sleazy, just coming up to me on his bike and talking to me WHEN I HAVE MY IPOD ON! GET A CLUE! Seriously! This is more in exasperation as opposed to anger; really these guys are so clueless - back in NYC, having your iPod/any sort of headphones in your ears is a clear sign to not go up to the person. Jeez!

In other news, I do have some happy news - I am going to get free knitting lessons! I found this forum for Astoria, the town in NYC that I live in and just asked about knitting. Turns out there is a cafe right on Ditmars (I would have to take the bus since I am further up, but since it's summer, I am going to go by bike, I still have my old one circa junior high school and Mel is promising me that he is going to fix it) that hosts a knitting/craft circle. Knitting! For free! In Astoria!

I think I am going to bring a box of nama-yatsuhashi (the sweet special to Kyoto) as a little thank-you maybe, since the leesons are free and share them with the group. Any thoughts on that? It's nothing really big; a decent sized box goes for about 800yen and make good souveneirs, I can pick them up at the airport too. They come in all awesome flavors; since it's summer, I am going to get all the citrusy ones, like peach, mango, strawberry (and get some for myself!)