27 July 2007

The City of a Thousand Shrines

Kyoto is known as "the city of a thousand shrines" because well literally, there are most likely more than one thousand shrines. You have the circus that is known as Heian Jingu (seriously, don't get me started on that one, especially after this semester) then the really famous ones like Fushimi Inari, then the local ones like the one near me Yoshida Jinja that is actually famous for Setsubun. THEN you have the little itty bitty ones that dot the streets, and the ones that are still around the shopping areas - though I have seen more temples around Shijo than shrines, because the shopping arcade Teramachi literally means "temple town" - back in the day, that road (which is now a shopping arcade) was populated with temples.

I forgot to say that on the day I was accosted by two men, I went to Shimogamo Jinja afterwards. Every time I ride the 102 tourist express bus across the Imadegawa bridge, I always hear about this shrine. Turns out, it's famous for its association with the Aoi Matsuri - another parade, but this is from way back in the day. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it, but it's sorta like Jidai Matsuri, so I know I am not missing out. Try the Heian Period, which was in the 10th-11th centuries. (Hmm speaking of Heian Period...I really need to finish The Tale of Genji, it's quite pathetic when you have three versions of it, and you haven't finished the whole thing. Don't even ask me if I am going to try that sucker in Japanese, that is going to be after I read all the other stuff - mega hard.)

I liked Shimogamo Jinja alot. I have to admit, I think I am a bit shrined and templed out; they are all starting to look the same. However, the atmosphere surrounding Shimagamo was different. It is a World Heritage Site so that would mean a helluva lot of tourists, but it's sorta in the middle of the forest that is in the Kamo River Delta, so a bit off the beaten path, if you will. Still, it was easy to get to; I had brought my guidebook with me just in case, but turns out I didn't need it. Unlike the circus say at Kinkakuji, or even Heian Jingu, Shimogamo was quiet. The forest around it is also like a little park, so you saw people walking dogs. After the Shiba (I want that dog!), Corgi's are really popular.

I noticed that they were prepping for maybe a festival; I wasn't sure, so I asked one of the shrine maidens manning the little shops - there is going to be a matsuri from July 27-30. It starts today, but maybe I will check it out tomorrow. Going to karaoke tonight.

PS. Unfortunately, Ingram and I didn't end up eating okonomiyaki because the place is closed on Tuesdays. Had pretty good Italian food instead at a restaurant in OPA on Shijo.